Opening chase scene...

For any discussions at all relating to the movies

Re: Opening chase scene...

Postby mpeach1976@yahoo.com » Wed May 07, 2014 5:28 am

MWFV8 wrote:
mpeach1976@yahoo.com wrote:About the supercharger: I've often wondered...suddenly forcing that much boost at a high rpm...? Your motor would blow.

If the engine can handle the compression pressure during normal operation then switching the blower off and on shouldn't make any odds. It wouldn't be that much different to a turbo spooling as you come off and on the throttle.

mpeach1976@yahoo.com wrote:Besides what purpose would it serve to not just have it running all the time like all blowers are set up? Engines do run more efficiently with forced induction which would be more helpful in a place where gas is scarce.

While power is a factor of efficiency, that doesn't mean the engine is necessarily more efficient throughout it's entire tractable range. With forced induction there's always a trade off somewhere, in the case of a blower it's the parasitic loss of turning a compressor when it's not generating pressure above atmospheric pressure. Besides, the critical thing here is the fuel setup, Max's BoB may simply have run very rich under boost, perhaps part of the intended setup or simply very out of tune in the wasteland.

You're probably right...I never thought of it that way...interesting. I guess he would be using that weinand supercharger as a turbo. Of course it'll run more rich...it's adding maybe 8 to 10 psi of boost...? That motor at say 10 to 20 psi compression is going to require such a hot spark that extremely hi octane fuel maybe even nitro as suggested in MM is what it would need to run efficiently.
mpeach1976@yahoo.com

Postby TEMPA » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:57 pm

DetritusMaximus wrote:I don't recall Ford having a twin overhead cam V8 at that time.

But the car was made with "a p p piece from here and a p p piece from there" ;)
TEMPA

Postby aussie muscle » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:46 pm

I was watching a documentary on Mercedes Benz yesterday, they mentioned the supercharged 300k (or some other 20s/30s benz) could run with the supercharger on or off.
aussie muscle

Postby DetritusMaximus » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:04 pm

TEMPA wrote:
DetritusMaximus wrote:I don't recall Ford having a twin overhead cam V8 at that time.

But the car was made with "a p p piece from here and a p p piece from there" ;)

It's not like he said just how big or small the 'pieces' had to be!
Road Worrier
DetritusMaximus

Postby DetritusMaximus » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:23 pm

aussie muscle wrote:I was watching a documentary on Mercedes Benz yesterday, they mentioned the supercharged 300k (or some other 20s/30s benz) could run with the supercharger on or off.
If I remember right, the blower on the 300k was up not right on top of the motor/intake, it was in front or on the side and mounted low. Plenty of room for alternate intake plumbing. Not sure on how or if the supercharger was 'switched' on and off.
Road Worrier
DetritusMaximus

Postby leadcounsel » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:09 pm

I view it as simply a mechanical possibility, given a skilled mechanic and enough parts and time. Barry was a perhaps autistic and brilliant gearhead.... He built the BoB "a piece from here, and a piece from there..." He loved it. It was a special incentive to keep Max on the force.

I don't get too wrapped around the axle on this point. With machines, it can't be done, until it can. At some point, humans can design a machine or engine to do whatever they require. So it's far from impossible.

In fact, I recently read an article that a company did design an engine that the turbo charger can be manually switched on and off. And of course the MR2 had a similar automatic setup. And I seem to recall the Honda V-tec engines had pistons that would engage only at higher RPMs to keep the MPG lower at city speeds. Basically for efficiency and power on demand, it just fires up additional pistons when you punch the accelerator.

So, it's not something to get too worked up about. Barry had plenty of time and parts, and orders to build an awesome car for Max. And he did.
leadcounsel

Postby roadwarriormfp » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:31 pm

Oh lord why do you persist???

You still dont know the difference between a roots blower and a centrifugal blower.

The MR2 doesnt use a Roots blower.

The set up in the film is NOT POSSIBLE. Learn some basics about engines before you comment and look like a total twat.
Its a MOVIE ! NOT REAL LIFE....
We are 100% snafu....
roadwarriormfp

Postby MWFV8 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:51 am

leadcounsel wrote:And I seem to recall the Honda V-tec engines had pistons that would engage only at higher RPMs to keep the MPG lower at city speeds. Basically for efficiency and power on demand, it just fires up additional pistons when you punch the accelerator.

You're mixing up a couple of different systems here. The Honda V-tec system switches cam profiles at higher rpm. What you are talking about is variable displacement for which Cadillac is most famous/infamous. This doesn't so much engage or disengage pistons as just close off the intake and exhaust valves.

As ever, I admire you enthusiasm, but you've really got to stop working stuff out in your head and get your facts straight. Some reading up on engines, firearms, and film making would benefit you greatly.
"Wrong, we fight for a belief. I stay."
MWFV8

Previous

Return to General Movie Discussion