Road Warrior Mack Truck

For any discussions at all relating to the movies

Re: Road Warrior Mack Truck

Postby seriz » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:30 am

A more pertinent question would why did the compound dwellers fill the tanker with sand?

Many questions have only one answers : because it's only a movie, and it looks cool in it. There's not a logical answer to everything. Like when Max make is u turn, why he do that ? When I spoke to the guy who drove the truck he told me "because we wanted to end the movie with a big crash between the truck and the Humungus' vehicle".
It's funny to put a meaning to everything in the movie, and I do that all the time ! :D But we don't have to forget that most of time we give meanings to stuff which are there by chance... more or less...

To go back to this story of the sand. I think the image of Max'hand under the sand worth the illogical idea to fill it with sand and to slow it. (Even if we can say that it looks more realistic for the marauders, the truck and tanker looks heavy)

(but what i don't know is why we see sand during the chase, the tanker wasn't full of sand during the stunts...)
seriz

Postby MWFV8 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:53 am

Yes that's the point I was making.

The sand in the tanker is there mainly, in my opinion, to give that visual conceit. Had it been empty, the dupe could have come across as ambiguous. The audience may have thought it had all leaked out in the collision.

I agree with the point about it being more hollow victory, it does add insult to injury. I guess it could also be argued it would have made the tanker very hard to ever re-use should the marauders have captured it.

All I'm saying is that everything is there for the purpose of story and cinema, looking for logic can sometimes be pointless.
"Wrong, we fight for a belief. I stay."
MWFV8

Postby leadcounsel » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:44 pm

I think Max saw Humungus and a few others stop to put out the fire. It was only moments later that he turned the rig around. I suspect he saw the opportunity to cause a huge collision between the two groups of vehicles, or at least enough chaos that he could take out a few Marauders (two big groups speeding toward each other, they would all be forced to yield and he could gain distance, if not take out a few in the process. Given he was out of ammunition, and all alone in the fight, he was incredibly vulnerable and desperate. Driving in a straight path was futile at that point, with still another dozen Marauders closing in on him.

Regarding the sand, yes it's likely for theatrical effect. The bottom cap appears to have fallen out, dumping the sand. This serves several purposes. 1) The sand would add some weight, and the appearance of being full. 2) Some of marauders have no purpose to continue on the fight, so many of them abandon it at the end - and they don't go down after the wreck. Although some continue to fight. 3) The audience gets the first glimpse of the sand as it leaks out (foreshadowing). 4) The sand running through Max's hand is awesome for dramatic impact and it's like sand through an hourglass...
leadcounsel

Postby MWFV8 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:46 pm

leadcounsel wrote:I suspect he saw the opportunity to cause a huge collision between the two groups of vehicles, or at least enough chaos that he could take out a few Marauders (two big groups speeding toward each other, they would all be forced to yield and he could gain distance, if not take out a few in the process. Given he was out of ammunition, and all alone in the fight, he was incredibly vulnerable and desperate. Driving in a straight path was futile at that point, with still another dozen Marauders closing in on him.

You don't need to speculate any reasoning. There are probably as many arguments against Max turning as there are for. He turns for one reason, so we get the climax of the collision.
"Wrong, we fight for a belief. I stay."
MWFV8

Postby chndvivek » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:48 am

Shadow94 wrote:Actually I take the banner part back. The tarp used to cover the entire bed it seems but was probably ripped off by the marauders as they scavenged it. I brought the scene back up. It's still a mystery at least to me who wrote the message. You can see an arrow sticking out of the "H" in "Have" and that suggests to me that they did attack after it was written.
chndvivek

Previous

Return to General Movie Discussion