Mad Max 1 original negatives are lost

For any discussions at all relating to the movies

Mad Max 1 original negatives are lost

Postby Uncle Entity » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:42 am

Apparently, Warner and MGM cannot locate them anymore. They are "lost", or even worse, "destroyed".

They "produced" the blu-ray edition out of a interpositive master.

What a shame.
Mel Gibson's Max to Tom Hardy's Max: "give me my life back, interdimensional counterpart!"
Uncle Entity

Re: Mad Max 1 original negatives are lost

Postby biolumen » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:31 pm

Link?

I'm confused. Why would MGM and/or WB possess the master when Miller financed the movie himself and basically
"owns" the IP today? You think Miller would have it locked in his vault for safe keeping.
biolumen

Postby Uncle Entity » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:52 pm

biolumen wrote:Link?

I'm confused. Why would MGM and/or WB possess the master when Miller financed the movie himself and basically
"owns" the IP today? You think Miller would have it locked in his vault for safe keeping.

A guy on The Blu-Ray forum posted this info. He obtained that from a guy working on the BD release.
Mel Gibson's Max to Tom Hardy's Max: "give me my life back, interdimensional counterpart!"
Uncle Entity

Postby Lonewolf » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:11 pm

During my time at ANU we had some connection with the National Film and Sound Archive over in Canberra. I had a discussion with one of the restoration supervisors and he said that "This archive holds all Australian associated footage and negatives of any film, television show, music produced within Australia". So me being a Mad Max fan I asked if they "have the original negative of the original Mad Max"? Oddly enough he answered like it was a common question, and as if this was the only exception to the whole "All Australian footage" statement he made. He said that they do not have the original print here in Australia at all. It is in fact in England and for some reason it is very hard to get a hold of it. Even the archive has tried, but with no luck. Miller doesn't even have a copy of the original. That's all I know, but given the info I was given and from where, I believe it still exists.
Lonewolf

Postby Uncle Entity » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:35 am

Lonewolf wrote:During my time at ANU we had some connection with the National Film and Sound Archive over in Canberra. I had a discussion with one of the restoration supervisors and he said that "This archive holds all Australian associated footage and negatives of any film, television show, music produced within Australia". So me being a Mad Max fan I asked if they "have the original negative of the original Mad Max"? Oddly enough he answered like it was a common question, and as if this was the only exception to the whole "All Australian footage" statement he made. He said that they do not have the original print here in Australia at all. It is in fact in England and for some reason it is very hard to get a hold of it. Even the archive has tried, but with no luck. Miller doesn't even have a copy of the original. That's all I know, but given the info I was given and from where, I believe it still exists.

INDEED.

I already posed a similar question to the National Archive, and they explained me they only own original film elements of MAD MAX II.
Uncle Entity

Postby Uncle Entity » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:27 pm

Anywway, interpositive matters the most. 8-)

They did 4k scan for all 3 movies, including Mad Max 1 from interpositive. WARNER always does 4k scan.

We can safely say that the Mad Max movies have been properly preserved.
Uncle Entity

Postby Uncle Entity » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:29 am

Biolumen, we need you! You should investigate on this... 8-)
Uncle Entity

Postby sedfoqeek » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:35 am

Purchased last night, to say I'm excited is an understatement. How long to middle earth UK from the USA?
sedfoqeek

Postby Uncle Entity » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:42 am

sedfoqeek wrote:Purchased last night, to say I'm excited is an understatement. How long to middle earth UK from the USA?

Let us know...
Uncle Entity

Postby Stef-Man » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:09 am

Uncle Entity wrote:
sedfoqeek wrote:Purchased last night, to say I'm excited is an understatement. How long to middle earth UK from the USA?

Let us know...

Wait nothing from this guy, Uncle. He just reproduced a comment from another poster from another thread :roll:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10470
Stef-Man

Next

Return to General Movie Discussion