Drive - the movie with Ryan Gosling

General discussions about everything else

Drive - the movie with Ryan Gosling

Postby toecutter » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:54 am

Sat through this today. Starts OK, slows down, too much long gazing into Carey Mulligans eyes and not enough DRIVING.
'Perhaps its a result of an anxiety'
toecutter

Re: Drive - the movie with Ryan Gosling

Postby BlownV8 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:18 pm

So it should be called "Gaze" not Drive?
Fuel injected suicide machine.
BlownV8

Postby biolumen » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:58 pm

Drive was the best film I've seen all year. Maybe the last couple of years.
biolumen

Postby Peter Barton » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:48 pm

I saw this during the week as well and would agree - easily one of the best films I've seen in quite a while.

Obviously the trailer got me interested - clearly some interesting looking car stuff, but on top of that it looked like it might actually have some characters and story as well - unlike all the Fast and Furious and other car movies we've been thrown over recent years.

It certainly isn't non-stop car action, so don't go expecting to see that. But it has a lot of elements to it like the original Mad Max - a variety of interesting characters (who actually play out as proper characters, not the usual Hollywood shit), and a story that pieces together in a way that the car sequences make sense - not just random cars and stunts for the sake of it (think Fast and the Furious, etc - can you even tell me about the plot and characters in most of that franchise?). To me less was more here - the car sequences were still very well executed, and it didn't feel like I was watching anything I'd seen before (which is rare).

I think the fact that this was low budget (again, think original Mad Max here) probably helped it a LOT also. If you'd given the same script to a bigger budget, they'd have just thrown bigger names, bigger stunts, cgi etc at it - and the story and characters would have been lost. For Drive they clearly assembled the right people for the money they had, and everyone has given it 100%, and it shows. Great acting and characters, some fantastic cinematography, and obviously a great director as well. I actually don't know any of his previous films at all - but I see he directed (and wrote) Bronson with Tom Hardy, which makes me want to check that one out now as well.

I would think anyone who is a fan of the original Mad Max would get something out of this one, it has a very similar feel to it, and for a lot of reasons - it is similar in a lot of ways (various characters and plot points, the low budget, the innovative way it has been shot, etc). I will warn anyone slightly squeamish that the rumours you've heard about the ultra-violence in some scenes is certainly true, but probably nothing that is particularly going to bother any Mad Max fans.
Peter Barton
Site Admin

Postby roadwarriormfp » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:42 pm

Got to see it last night.

I must admit it was a very different style of film (certainly the quiet parts were a tad too long for me), however the overall movie was good and definately had a kinda max feel with the lead character being a loner etc.. seeking his revenge. However I got the impression he was already a terminal psycotic long before he started his killing spree!

The occasional gore and violence certainly scared the crap out of us in the movie as it was totally unexpected.
We are 100% snafu....
roadwarriormfp

Postby Foxtrot X-Ray » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:15 pm

Hated it.

Edit

Now that I have a bit more time to elaborate... I'll do so a bit.

It's not often I fall asleep during a movie.
Last time I did so was while watching Green Card with my Ex-Fiance'

I Very nearly fell asleep during Drive.
I found the acting to be more akin to standing around reading lines in a monotone (Except for Rom Pearlman) The Dialog was severely unentertaining and the characters were utterly un-care-about-able.

As for Action.. Both too violent for my tastes and also just generally.. meh

Oh, and I'm tempted to compare the Driving Sequences to Driving Miss Daisey... But I never saw that one.

(Oh, and I'd be flinging every tool in the shop starting with the heavy ones and the sharp rather than let some piece of shit crook slice my wrists)
"Go ahead and run. Run home and cry to mama! Me, I'm Through runnin'!"
Foxtrot X-Ray

Postby Justice » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:14 pm

The execution was horrible. They made it sound like the getaway impala had some serious power, and when he steals a late model mustang by hotwiring it I facepalmed. The driving scenes with that mustang made it sound like he had a million gears, both forward and reverse. I don't know what the budget was, but it looks like they blew it all on the actors, and left little for the movie itself.
Heroes die... Legends live on... maxrockatansky.org
[last updated: October 24th 2009]
Justice

Return to Off-Topic