Death Race, Prequel or Remake?

General discussions about everything else

Death Race, Prequel or Remake?

Postby Bad cop » Sun May 09, 2010 9:28 pm

I had originally watched the new Death Race even though I had thought it was a remake at the time, but watched for non CGI car chases/crashes and actually enjoyed the film. I enjoyed the film even more when I watched the DVD commentary where director Paul W.S. Anderson stated that the film wasn't a remake but a prequel. I was very much relieved. It actually did work as a prequel despite the plot hole about the time period. For months I have been correcting the Wikipedia page so that it says the film is a prequel and not a remake, but someone keeps changing it back. Only reason I posted this was because it annoyed the heck out of me, and wanted to see if anyone else felt the same.
"Between them and us, there's not enough runway!"
Bad cop

Re: Death Race, Prequel or Remake?

Postby Morrisminor » Sun May 09, 2010 11:46 pm

I'm sorry but the 2008 Death Race is totally and conceptually too far removed from the original to be considered a prequel despite whatever notions Paul Anderson try's to blow past us. Yeah sure there was a Machine Gun Joe in both movies if you could explain how he changed his ethnic genes. Andersons film has little but name alone connecting it to the original. Even the original is set in the year 2000 and the new one in what 's it like..2012! Yeah Anderson needed to try much harder to have his film deserve entitlement to be considered a prequel.

That said I thought the movie was alright despite having a truly awful soundtrack and you might like this bit of news....http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1500491/
And Cundalini wants his hand back!
Morrisminor

Return to Off-Topic