Dean Semler needs to return........nope, it's John Seale

Discuss the facts, the rumours, plot ideas, merchandising ideas, whatever...

Dean Semler needs to return........nope, it's John Seale

Postby biolumen » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:58 pm

Next to Gibson, Semler is one of the key crew members from the earlier films that I want to see return in Fury Road. His work on both Mad Max 2 & 3 is exemplary, and his filmography since then is filled with movies that are, at the very least, great to look at (Dances with Wolves, Apocalypto, etc). I've yet to see it, but Roland Emmerich's "2012" appears to be another example. Say what you want about the film as a whole, but the scenes I've watched on my TV in Hi-def are visually quite stunning, and critics appear to be unanimous in their praise of how the film looks. Semler appears to be working with all the latest tools available to him. To think that he and Miller came oh so close to filming the Justice League movie together a couple years ago....now that would have been something to see.

I thought perhaps at the age of 66, a grueling 30 week shoot on location might a bit much for him, but I'm sure Emmerich's movie wasn't a walk in the park either. Let's hope that he's already cleared his schedule for Fury Road next year.
Last edited by biolumen on Wed May 09, 2012 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
biolumen

Re: Dean Semler needs to return as cinematographer

Postby biolumen » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:26 am

I found an Entertainment Weekly article from Dec. 2002 that says Miller had hired fellow Sydnite Andrew Lesnie as the Director of Photography for the first attempt at Fury Road. Lesnie had made the Babe films with Miller and then went on to great acclaim (and an Oscar) with the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Yeah, he'd be a great choice too. Can't really go wrong with either Semler or Lesnie.

The same article also says that Fury Road "is expected to eschew fancy special effects for old-fashioned wheel-spinning action." Well, that's a relief.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,399456,00.html

Andrew Lesnie on IMDb

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0504226/
biolumen

Postby biolumen » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:12 am

I found several old crew listings for Mad Max 4 and David Eggby from the first movie is listed as cinematographer, not Semler or Lesnie. Strange. Also looks like Guy Norris will return as stunt coordinator as well.

MM4 Crew.jpg
MM4 Crew.jpg (37.48 KiB) Viewed 4518 times
biolumen

Postby biolumen » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:13 pm

IMDb is now listing Semler as Cinematographer. Doesn't mean it's fact, but it is a good sign.
biolumen

Postby Wants His Hand Back » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:54 pm

I agree, but worry about the whole 3D thing. I mean, those 3D cameras are big. And expensive. I really doubt they're going to put one in the back seat of a car as they roll it!
Wants His Hand Back

Postby Daz » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:55 pm

Wants His Hand Back wrote:I agree, but worry about the whole 3D thing. I mean, those 3D cameras are big. And expensive. I really doubt they're going to put one in the back seat of a car as they roll it!

I have 2 GoPro cameras hooked up (High Def) that produce 3D. They are the size of a pack of cigges. All up cost was $800. And they'd probably survive a roll over.
Daz

Postby biolumen » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:18 pm

Inside Film confirms Dean Semler is DoP on Fury Road.

http://if.com.au/2010/12/06/article/ELBKUOWOCZ.html
biolumen

Postby PacificMuscle » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:00 pm

I have heard from a number of people working on the project that indeed Mr Semler is returning for #4.
Lingerie ... remember Lingerie ...

Pete
PacificMuscle

Postby biolumen » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:19 pm

If Miller insists on filming in 3D, then he might as well go all the way and film at 48 frames per second like Peter Jackson just announced he's doing with his Hobbit movies. Jackson says that in tests they've done, the "image has hugely enhanced clarity and smoothness" compared to film shot at the standard 24 fps, and that "it looks much more lifelike, and it is much easier to watch, especially in 3-D". Sounds like Fury Road could greatly benefit from the technology, especially it's action sequences.

Actually, considering that Miller likes to keep on the cutting edge, I wouldn't be surprised if 48 fps is in the works. James Cameron will be using high frame rates in his Avatar sequels as well.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/peter-jac ... 2861171558
biolumen

Postby biolumen » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:56 pm

A new interview with Dean Semler. He talks some about how he shot certain scenes in 'Road Warrior' and confirms that...
'Mad Max 4’ is in the works and should be happening in early 2012.

http://moviemavericks.com/2011/04/inter ... c-s-a-s-c/
biolumen

Next

Return to Mad Max 4 - Fury Road