Brendan McCarthy talks about the conception of Mad Max 4

Discuss the facts, the rumours, plot ideas, merchandising ideas, whatever...

Re: Brendan McCarthy talks about the conception of Mad Max 4

Postby TheWarriorMax » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:36 pm

Artemis Flow wrote:I disagree the Vuvalini were hardened wasteland bad ass babes , you sound like you were threatened by this lol remember Ripley ? > noone carried on like prized chickens over her role in Alien

I was a bit bothered by how badass they were, an elderly person living in a harsh environment with lack of resources or medical care shouldn't be very badass :). It also felt like silly action movie/game bravado with stuff like this, "Killed everyone I ever met out here. Headshots. All of them. Snap—right in the medulla." Go for those headshots eh? So you can miss most of the time? :)

Maybe the last thing they did before the world collapsed was play a lot of Call of Duty? :)
TheWarriorMax

Postby Artemis Flow » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:27 am

o cmon live a little it wasnt a documentary , headshots are the obvious choice if you have limited ammo btw ;)
* New site Fury Road Vehicles - http://furyroadvehicles.blogspot.com.au/
*Sydney Fury Road Stunt show - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N929gjLLzkk
*Hitler reacts to Mad Max Fury Road - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-_km-xssIA
Artemis Flow

Postby mahenoguy » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:51 am

I don't think the Vulvalini were meant to be elderly , only hard weathered women in there early 50's ( based off furiousa being about 28 and her mother being the same age as the survivors ) I don't think its fair to single out their survival as movie Bravado without acknowledging no one would survive the Mad max universe in real world terms.
No vegetation , no food chain , no food , no breathable atmosphere , no water , nothing left to scavenge after 2 years , no batteries , no alternators , no lubricant , no dentistry etc etc etc.
Any catastrophe that would strip the planet of all water and vegetation would leave no mammal alive 10 , 20 , 30 , Or however many years Fury road is set later .
mahenoguy

Postby TheWarriorMax » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:57 pm

mahenoguy wrote:I don't think the Vulvalini were meant to be elderly , only hard weathered women in there early 50's ( based off furiousa being about 28 and her mother being the same age as the survivors ) I don't think its fair to single out their survival as movie Bravado without acknowledging no one would survive the Mad max universe in real world terms.
No vegetation , no food chain , no food , no breathable atmosphere , no water , nothing left to scavenge after 2 years , no batteries , no alternators , no lubricant , no dentistry etc etc etc.
Any catastrophe that would strip the planet of all water and vegetation would leave no mammal alive 10 , 20 , 30 , Or however many years Fury road is set later .

Were they really only in their 50s? I figured closer to 70.
EDIT: I guess there were only 2 or 3 that looked quite old, I don't recall now. Anyway the older ones are the ones I'm talking about.

Yeah the world stripped of water thing was talked about at length and I was one of those people saying the same thing, there would be no life as we know it left. Lots of movies have ridiculously unrealistic stuff like that, then we look at it relative to movie's already established unrealistic terms we've accepted. So it just didn't work for me regardless. I played up the headshots for fun but really that doesn't matter. In general taking everything into account, but mainly their age, for me their badassery was overdone.

I get the point though, hey these "little old ladies" can be hardened survivors too, and even though they are the "good guys" they kill without a thought and there aren't clear good/bad lines in this world. You can get that message across in many different ways, I just wasn't thrilled with the way they did it.
TheWarriorMax

Postby MWFV8 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:33 am

TheWarriorMax wrote:
Artemis Flow wrote:I disagree the Vuvalini were hardened wasteland bad ass babes , you sound like you were threatened by this lol remember Ripley ? > noone carried on like prized chickens over her role in Alien

I was a bit bothered by how badass they were, an elderly person living in a harsh environment with lack of resources or medical care shouldn't be very badass :). It also felt like silly action movie/game bravado with stuff like this, "Killed everyone I ever met out here. Headshots. All of them. Snap—right in the medulla." Go for those headshots eh? So you can miss most of the time? :)

Maybe the last thing they did before the world collapsed was play a lot of Call of Duty? :)

They were a bit silly - but then the whole movie just jumps the shark at this point anyway.

That line though is one of the most powerful in the movie for me, not for what Keeper Of Seeds says, but for The Dag's reply; "I thought you girls were above all that." A huge amount is being said here that suggests that, by themselves and without Furiosa's leadership, the Vuvalini are not much better than the War Boys and other wasteland scavengers. This sets up the entire premise that they can go back and change the entire culture at the Citadel.
"Wrong, we fight for a belief. I stay."
MWFV8

Postby AquaCola » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:43 pm

^Yep, they were bandits just like the Rock Riders.

Seeing as only two Vuvalini survived they weren't that badass/unstoppable.
AquaCola

Postby mahenoguy » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:42 pm

I don't know TheWarriorMax , I have lived in western central Queensland , and have met some woman that look like that in their 40's . the desert sun tends to bleaches out features leaving only wrinkles and sunspots . Plus many of them would easy dust the floor with me as well , and I'm a 6 foot tall male who banged around boxing rings my whole youth . Harsh lands breed harsh people .I do agree that perhaps they could have drummed home their badness in more subtle ways than the whole ""Snap to the medulla"bit , its a funny film like that in some important points are very subtly made , while other peripheral parts of the plot are really in your face .
mahenoguy

Postby MWFV8 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:16 am

Back in WW2 one of the most feared groups of people were the Night Witches, an all female russian air squadron who were so under-equipped they were using old WW1 propeller bi-planes to attack the Germans. Given the law stall speed of the old planes, they were able to fly over at night in complete silence and surprise the enemy.
"Wrong, we fight for a belief. I stay."
MWFV8

Fury Road concept sketches by Brendan McCarthy

Postby Morrisminor » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:34 pm

Last edited by Morrisminor on Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
And Cundalini wants his hand back!
Morrisminor

Postby Taipan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:26 pm

Those are amazing Morrisminor! Where did you find those?
At last the Vermin had inherited the Earth
Taipan

PreviousNext

Return to Mad Max 4 - Fury Road