Brendan McCarthy talks about the conception of Mad Max 4

Discuss the facts, the rumours, plot ideas, merchandising ideas, whatever...

Re: Brendan McCarthy talks about the conception of Mad Max 4

Postby levcore » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:48 am

Those drawings are indeed fantastic. Can anyone make out all of the writing on the landscape pic with 'Fury's End' written in the corner? Is it supposed to be an alternate/ early ending to the movie?
levcore

Postby AquaCola » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:52 am

Larry and Barry were originally sock puppets haha

Some terrible ideas there but also interesting ones. That original Fury Road map/path looks like a horribly bleak world.
AquaCola

Postby Taipan » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:31 am

levcore wrote:Those drawings are indeed fantastic. Can anyone make out all of the writing on the landscape pic with 'Fury's End' written in the corner? Is it supposed to be an alternate/ early ending to the movie?

Seems like one of the endings for the movie. Furiosa drives off a cliff into this huge cloud because she knows there's a ramp on the side of the cliff. I think it says that under this cloud there's Gynotopia on a 'Dead Sea'. So I guess the original version of the 'Green Place', but this time around it's on the bottom of an old naval base, there's an aircraft carrier that's got wheat growing out of it, and there's a mini rainforest growing out of huge chunks of metal. I think it's the Rotoraiders' (aka. flying Vuvalini) territory, it says there that they attack Immortan, now this concept art makes sense:

max-rotoraider.jpg
max-rotoraider.jpg (556.55 KiB) Viewed 1103 times

It also says that one of the Wives is pregnant but dies. So, Angharad? Then Furiosa and Max do a caesarian to save the baby on the move in the cab. Definitely Angharad, same fate except not in the hands of Immortan. Rotoraiders carry one of the girls away. Furiosa goes down to the "Green Place" on the bottom of the sea in an old Naval Base. Interesting, but I'd like to know if Immortan went down after her or is that the end of the movie. Unless there'sa huge battle going on there it's kind of anticlimactic.
At last the Vermin had inherited the Earth
Taipan

Postby levcore » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:30 am

Good lord that sounds incredible. Despite Fury Road being crazy, they certainly scaled back some even crazier ideas and concepts. Personally i would have LOVED some of that to have made the movie. I love vague, repurposed remnants of the old world, so a huge aircraft carier at the bottom of a canyon sounds epic.
levcore

Postby AquaCola » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:04 am

Apart from the Bullet Farm and Gastown it was really missing the apocalyptic remnants feel. I would have loved to have seen ruined cities with skyscrapers crumbling as they go by or seeing a huge air craft carrier hinting that it takes place on an ocean bed thats dried up.
AquaCola

Postby tehCal » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:26 pm

To be honest I think that's the one thing that the game did even better than the film. While there are no cities, you really do get the feeling that you are roaming through the abandoned or repurposed wreckage of our civilisation. It's almost like The Last Of Us, but decades later and after massive climate change.
tehCal

Postby levcore » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:35 am

I agree with both of you, my only hope is that Miller is saving stuff like this for some future movies. Also i guess it was important for the story to show that in this specific part of the wasteland there really is nothing else in the near vicinity, so going back to The Citadel is the only hope for survival.

I agree about the game giving us a lot more in terms of ruined remnants of civilisation.
levcore

Previous

Return to Mad Max 4 - Fury Road