Brendan McCarthy's MM4 Designs in a book...

Discuss the facts, the rumours, plot ideas, merchandising ideas, whatever...

Brendan McCarthy's MM4 Designs in a book...

Postby junkers88 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:28 am

I haven't read it - and I'm not sure how it could be possible given how tight Miller is clamped down on FURY ROAD story leaks but according to the official site this book could offer some insight...
The Swimini Purpose - Life in Pictures
By Brendan McCarthy
http://www.swiminipurpose.co.uk/swimini2.html
Featuring artwork spanning 30 years of his career, from the alternative comics and punk rock fanzines of the 1970s, through designs for the MTV pop video boom of the 1980s, early computer animation design for the popular TV series REBOOT in the 1990s, and recent work on Hollywood movies like MAD MAX: FURY ROAD.

Image Image

BM has never been my cup of tea - BUT someone else out there might have got their hands on 1 of the 500 that went into print...
Scans anyone?
Junkers
junkers88

Re: Brendan McCarthy's MM4 Designs in a book...

Postby Morrisminor » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:31 am

I have a copy of the book and there are no images or any solid visual referances of Fury Road in it. I'm pretty sure its all protected material.
There is however some material there that might give you an idea of his design sense such as his Freakwave project which was created before and looks a LOT like Waterworld.

Another book called The Art of Reboot was just recently released and it features a lot of Brendans work on the series and if you're familliar with the show you may remember an episode called BAD BOB which was a great homage to Mad Max 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi0MtDDMaVI

Check out the character at 01:10 in.
And Cundalini wants his hand back!
Morrisminor

Postby junkers88 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:35 am

Cool - thanks Morry. Didn't think that could be the case - I was a 200AD fan back in the day and the only stuff I didn't get in to was Brendan McCarthy's work... The art, design, stories - the whole aesthetic just never worked on me. I hated the ABC WARRIORS with a passion.

I was into the hard science and pure functionality of other stories like ROGUE TROOPER.

When I look back at that REBOOT clip... It was even tackier than I remember. And time has been even less kind. I realize that I was never in the demographic - but as a kid growing up with ASTROBOY & STARBLAZERS I was lucky enough to be not only spoilt with cell animation but great stories and stunning design and storytelling aesthetics.

With McCarthy involved in the genesis of FURY ROAD it makes we wonder (and worry) how he could have ever provided any of the magic that the late Byron Kennedy brought to the first two...
Junkers
junkers88

Postby blackmocco » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:48 am

I used to like McCarthy's stuff although it was the beginning of the end, quality and style-wise, for ol' 2000 ad. I actually remember reading my older brother's movie magazine back in 1981 when they had a feature on an upcoming movie called MM2 with this huge pic of Wez. They claimed it had stepped out of the pages of 2000 ad and looking at that phot, I had to agree. Always felt Norma Moriceau had been somewhat influenced in the best way. Max's bulky pad on one shoulder was always reminiscent to me of Strontium Dog or Dredd.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."
blackmocco

Postby Morrisminor » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:50 pm

junkers88 wrote:With McCarthy involved in the genesis of FURY ROAD it makes we wonder (and worry) how he could have ever provided any of the magic that the late Byron Kennedy brought to the first two...

If you were to take into consideration everything that McCarthy has opinionated about the trilogy, (his awe of Mad Max 2 and his disappointment with Thunderdome) and contemplate the sensabilitie of someone who can create this...

...well, yah know it gets my vote of confidence. My doubts would be with George Miller.The late Byron Kennedy was very much an influence on the first two films and his absence from Thunderdome is very obvious. George Miller took Thunderdome to the place that its at. Its abrupt loss of horror,fear,violence and absolute jaw dropping lapses in logic and continuity are so frustrating (that feral kid driving the truck with a frying pan and ten minutes later pulling a one-eighty like a pro right beside Jedediahs plane AHEAD of the rest of Aunty Entitys pack....aaaw man!) and just don't get me started on that Jarre score with PAN PIPES and tamborines.

That said, I have a lot of enthusiasm and eager anticipation for Fury Road. If and when it does get released it'll be the beast that it is. Meantime I'll enjoy the wait and there's alway DOOMSDAYhttp://www.doomsdayiscoming.com/
Last edited by Morrisminor on Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Morrisminor

Postby junkers88 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:49 am

Wonderful response Morrisminor -
Thanks for taking the time to respond and even provide image reference as well. You've certainly eased my concerns.
I too have been casting a casual eye over DOOMSDAY - I will go for a look for the trailer next.

It will be interesting to see what direction the production design will head. Who will be the vehicle designers?
I always loved Jim Burn's work that was commissioned by the 1983 board game BATTLECARS.

Big version here http://neo-art.net/data/media/262/0uro0297__jim_burns__battlecars.jpg

Are there any graphic novel comic book artists working in the post apocalyptic genre that you know of?
Junkers
junkers88

Postby Morrisminor » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:46 pm

[quote="junkers88"]
Thanks for taking the time to respond and even provide image reference as well.

And a big thanks right back at ya for this too...

Sad to say but I really haven't come across anything in the graphic novel Post-Apocalyptic genre that has garnered my interest. There was a limited series here in the US recently called Wasteland. It read like a cross between The Postman and I Am Legend. It was black and white (with grey tones) artwork. It was interesting but I only stuck with it for three issues.

I understand that there is a really great graphic novel series out called HOMBRE with art by Jose Ortiz. I have yet to get my hands on a copy of it. If you were a 2000AD fan you might remember his name or his distinct artwork. This guy does the apocalypse brilliantly. In 2000AD he had a story called the Helltrekkers which was a rip-off of Damnation Alley set in the Judge Dredd universe. He also did a strip in the 80's version of Eagle comic called The Tower King set in a plague riddled modern London who's inhabitants have reverted to a medieval society. Ortiz has even drawn a Rogue Trooper series. Anyway, thanks for the link.
Morrisminor

Postby junkers88 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:44 am

Morrisminor wrote:
junkers88 wrote:And a big thanks right back at ya for this too...

AWESOME!!!! - I completely forgot about the FREEWAY FIGHTER print! I don't think I have laid eyes on it for at least a decade... I just jumped back to '85 in under 3 seconds. Thanks for that, that's going straight to the wallpaper folder...

Will be sure to check out the titles you mentioned. I'm very interested to see what happens to Cormac McCarthy's The Road at the hands of John Hillcoat. One of the best books I have ever read. Trippy to think that it won a Pulitzer... Also Max Brook's World War Z... That is going to be one helluva movie - if they ever work out how to adapt it!

blackmocco wrote:Max's bulky pad on one shoulder was always reminiscent to me of Strontium Dog or Dredd.

That is wicked. I can so see the circular connection now... 2000AD design inspires MM... which in turn fertilizes 2000AD.
Junkers
junkers88

Postby Bronze21 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:55 am

Reading through the posts, I'm reminded of some 80's and early 90's series that were post-"epoxyclyse." Does anyone remember a short-lived Saturday morning cartoon series called "Cadillac's and Dinosaurs?" It had various cars that were sort-of Maxed out and had a The Maxx crossed with Aeon Flux-type feel to the action. I also remember a few games that my buddy and his brother played (both PC and board); Car Wars (along with Ogre), Interstate 76, and Roadwar 3000 on the Apple 2C. Anyone ever play those?

JUNKERS88: Hehehe...Space Battleship Yamato, aka Starblazers for the US market...right along with Gatchaman, aka Battle of the Planets/G-Force. I miss those days.
Bronze21

Postby Biker » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:15 pm

Hey Morris Minor. I downloaded a whole series of scans of the pages of The Hombre. They're on the other computer at the moment. I got them from Rapidshare I believe but now I can't find the link to whose account it was on.

If I dig it out, would you like it? I know it's a plae substitute for the real thing held in your hands but it's the best I can do.

Loved Jim Burns artwork. I'm sitting here looking at my groaning bookshelves with his huge great book amongst the many art books I've collected over the years. His "car wars" paintings were obviously inspired by Mad Max, I mean just look at Wez popping up there, too much of a coincidence methinks.

Biker
Are we living in a land where sex and horror are the new gods?

My Mad Max T-shirt designs http://www.redbubble.com/people/biker/t-shirts
Biker

Next

Return to Mad Max 4 - Fury Road