MM4 - FURY ROAD. Max in 3D.

Discuss the facts, the rumours, plot ideas, merchandising ideas, whatever...

Postby junkers88 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:50 am

The next time we hear anything about the status of FURY ROAD will be in October & November press conferences for HAPPY FEET.

Till then we will have to wait.

I have a prediction. We will get Max - but not for several years.

The US studio system is NOT going to fund a $200 million action film with Mel as the star until memores of his drunken malibu rampage have faded.

Apocalypto won't do the business Passion did - There just isn't a ready made audience. People will blame Mel's negative press and say that his behavoir has caused his 'start to fade' as they have just done with Cruise. This will also make studios nervous.

Miller won't do the FURY ROAD with a new actor. With Brad Pitt THE FOUNTAIN was a $70 million movie. With Hugh Jackman it had to be retooled as a $35 million movie. Miller will not rewrite FURY ROAD to be a smaller movie for a new star.

My bet is that Miller will wait for the heat on Mel to cool. He will also wait until High Definition 3D cinemas are up and running and shoot for that format.

That's what James Cameron has been waiting for. AVATAR, the first film he's made in 10 years is going to be 3D digital. Straight after that he's planning another 3D epic BATTLE ANGEL ALITA. Each has a giant amount of 3D CG FX.

The future is large format 3D - this the only real way that studios can be guarenteed to put 'bums in cinema seats' - to beat piracy and the resulting falling ticket sales.

FURY ROAD will be a summation of the best 'in camera action' CG enhanced environments and 3D immersion. With Mel as Max.

JU88

Junkers
junkers88

Postby Madmaxing » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:08 am

Personally I am tired of CG in movies. Yeah, a lot of it is amazing, but sometimes real is just more.......realistic. I would like to see a real car movie that doesn't have all the CG of Gone In 60 Seconds. You might say the Dukes of Hazzard movie was like that, little or no CG, but it was soooooooo far away from the original characterizations that I could not enjoy the movie one bit! I didn't expect an exact re-enactment, but you also can't rewrite the characters that far away from the original personnas. For me it was just the same names. That movie really sucked.

As for 3D, I think it will do well at first. It will be a novelty like it always has been. People have been watching movies in 2D for so long though that to see movies in 3D all the time I think they just won't look "right" to the movie going public. They will go for the novelty, but then they will still want to see 2D movies.
Madmaxing

Postby junkers88 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:00 am

You are right. CG with cars sucks. BAD BOYS 2 is the worst example, but the are some horrendous MATRIX RELOADED cheat shots that I would place in this category.

I don't think Miller will ever substitute CG for REAL whan it come to car action. Shoot low. Shoot wide. Shoot very f**king fast and do the rest with shot construction and flawless editing.

If Bruce Lee were alive today I doubt whether he'd feel the need to cheat with CG...

Locations. Yes- as a storytelling element.
Junkers
junkers88

Postby RW-777 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:26 am

Alot of people don't realise one simple fact; shoot on film, put the canisters away in a safe place, the film stock will stay pristine for a hundred years. Shoot on digital, put them away, the discs stay pristine for about 30 years. Nowadays, you can shoot on film, make the image look as clear/pristine as you want, then strike a digital print, chuck that on a disc, and you've got your hi-def image quality, but also with that deep texture that only film can offer. So basically, digital filmmaking is for lazy bastards who don't care about the longevity of their work. I can't see Miller being one of those(i hope)!
RW-777

Postby junkers88 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:09 pm

1. Digital is forever. 0 & 1's don't rot like film stock. Stored on a hard drive the master can be duped - etc etc -So I don't quite get your 'lazy' point.

2. Digital now has eclispsed film in detail and subtly. Plus you can do a lot more with slow motion and of course the aforementioned capacity to shoot 3D. The format favours high shooting ratios etc. Check out the Genesis camera (that Superman Returns was shot on). Its inevitable- no matter how much we all love 35-70mm.

3. Longevity for Miller - I think that's in his mythmaking or storytelling. Not choice of format. Story is king.
Junkers
junkers88

Postby junkers88 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:29 am

Interestingly enough - Mel Gibson has just shot Apocolypto with Dean Semler on the GENESIS camera which is an HD camera.

Have a look at the http://www.apple.com/trailers/touchstone/apocalypto/hd/ in High Definitition -

I think it rivals film EXCEPT on moving action - look at the 'ghosting' on jumping over camera shots.

From the http://cinematech.blogspot.com/2006/06/dion-beebe-dean-semler-tom-sigel-and.html

"Dean Semler told me that Mel Gibson was the one who initially suggested to him the idea of shooting `Apocalypto' digitally. "Mel is really curious about new technology," Semler said. "As a producer, he's very much aware of the costs." Semler wound up shooting the Adam Sandler movie `Click' before `Apocalypto,' also using the Genesis. He told me that each high-def tape they used was "roughly $7000 cheaper than shooting [the same amount of footage] on film." Semler also said that before he shot `Stealth,' he'd looked at the Sony F900 and F950 (two earlier generations of digital cameras), but found the dynamic range lacking.

Semler said they battle-tested the Genesis on the set of `Apocalypto' in Mexico."
Junkers
junkers88

Postby junkers88 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:40 am

Mad Max 4 will be in 3D.

More evidence. This format IS THE FUTURE.

And I am sure Miller will be all over it.

Rogue Finds James Cameron's Sanctum

Source: Variety

October 13, 2006

Rogue Pictures has made a deal with James Cameron to co-write and produce James Cameron's Sanctum, a live-action drama to be shot next spring in high-definition 3-D.

Gary Johnstone will direct the movie revolving around a deep-sea diving team headed by a father and son. When the team heads to uncharted depths, a life-threatening crisis occurs.

Cameron is rewriting the script with John Garvin.

Despite the ambitious technology and undersea storyline, the film will be budgeted in the low $20 millions. Johnstone has collaborated numerous times with Cameron, sharing directing duties on the TV documentary Expedition: Bismarck.

Cameron will produce with Andrew Wight through Earthship Productions, the Cameron company that specializes in 3-D productions
Junkers
junkers88

Return to Mad Max 4 - Fury Road