Emergency kits, plans etc

Discuss the facts, the rumours, plot ideas, merchandising ideas, whatever...

Postby Biker » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:28 am

This is a follow on from the McCarthy quote thread which twisted and turned and eventually began discussing global disasters and emergencies and how you'd deal with them:

Me. Well, I'm the kind of person who'd "wing it" but with some forward planning involved, at least a token attempt at making the winging of it a little easier. I've always been into survival techniques, sadly not as pratically as I'd like to think. For example I've never skinned a rabbit, but read enough to know that after the 60th rabbit I might get to be be pretty good at it LOL! If you can get a copy of it have a look at The SAS Survival Handbook by John Wiseman. a DAMN fine book.

Yeah I know theory is fine but it's the practical side of things that really matter, well read on.

Over the years I've read some fascinating stories. Every author I've read came to the same to the conclusion that 90% of the ability to survive a bad situation is all in the head. People who have a determination to survive will. While those who roll over and give up or fall into depression will very likely die.

Also having some knowledge of how to survive might increase your chances.

OK there are some obvious extremes which we have no control over such as a ICBM landing in your front garden which would be kind of depressing if you'd trained yourself to survive by becoming the veritable Rambo on your street.

That reminds me. In one book I'd read is had the shortest chapter which was titled Surviving a Nuclear War. It read: I'm not going to try to give pratical points about how to survive such a thing because some damn fool might actually start one to see if they can!! Nuff said thought.

But for any eventuality a little foresight can make even the smallest emergency more bearable. A torch in your bedside drawer and spare fuses near the fuseboard will make changing them easier rather than scrabbling about to find a torch in the middle of the night then begin the search for the fuses, that sort of thing.

In the boot of our car I have packed a small 8 x 10 x 5 inch ex army waterproof beltpack. In it are all sorts of handy items from building a shelter, making fire, keeping warm etc etc. Also a 2 litre bottle of water. I hope I don't have to use it but it's there if I had to. No, I haven't packed food in it. I had considered this and figured I would always be close enough at least locally to find somewhere to eat, however if I had to go on a long journey that meant I was out of touch with people or in an area that was harsh then I'd include the food pack and extra water.

Some people just aren't mentally equiped to survive, while others could get by if they had to. Me I'd like to count myself in the latter. It's kinda fun to watch films such as Cast away with Tom hanks and think "What would I do in that situation?"

That's a form of forward planning. Looking forward to your replies folks.

Biker
Are we living in a land where sex and horror are the new gods?

My Mad Max T-shirt designs http://www.redbubble.com/people/biker/t-shirts
Biker

Postby Nightwalker » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:50 pm

Quote: Originally posted by Biker on 05 November 2005

In the boot of our car I have packed a small 8 x 10 x 5 inch ex army waterproof beltpack. In it are all sorts of handy items from building a shelter, making fire, keeping warm etc etc. Also a 2 litre bottle of water. I hope I don't have to use it but it's there if I had to. No, I haven't packed food in it. I had considered this and figured I would always be close enough at least locally to find somewhere to eat, however if I had to go on a long journey that meant I was out of touch with people or in an area that was harsh then I'd include the food pack and extra water.

If those riods are getting worse there in france it wil become a civile war. Than you wil need it. If your car isn't burned out by then.
"UNDERSTEER" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"OVERSTEER" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"HORSEPOWER" is how fast you hit the fence.
"TORQUE" is how far you take the fence with you.
Nightwalker

Postby Biker » Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:40 am

I hear ya but my sleepy little village is about 150 miles west of Paris and I'm the only ethnic minority in the town! Well there's a Welshman too but he doesn't count LOL

About the riots though, it's just an violent outlet to set fire and cause chaos under the excuse of ethnic suppression. I wouldn't be too surprised to find out that everyone got involved from all races and creeds just to join in the fun and games of torching cars and schools.

Scratch any surface of any commumnity and they'll be the f**king assholes element there just waiting to raise a little hell under any excuse you can name be it Hunt saboteurs to Anti genetically modified crop protesters. That French minister was right about him saying there's a scum element that will cause unrest, he got slammed for his "imflamatory remarks", he's still right nonetheless. It's funny how it's the so called enthics that are rioting, they have untold oppertunities to improve thier community yet choose violence to show their point and where do they do it? By burning thier own schools, cars and houses. How dumb can someoone get?

The whole thing started off because two youths ran from the police and then hid in an electrical sub station.... then got fried while climbing on top of it.... No one, it seems, thinks it odd that two "fine upstanding children of the community" were actually running away from the police and didn't have the brain cells between them to know a sub station is a preeeeetty stoopid place to go into. It's tragic, it really is.. still, let's look on the bright side; there's two less drug dealing muggers on the streets and a lot of people can now claim a nice fat wedge of cash on their car insurence for their burnt out old banger that had they had just fitted the brand new in car CD sound system and leather upholstery and which had at the time their entire wardrobe of designer clothes in the boot too...

or am I being just too cycnical?

Biker
Are we living in a land where sex and horror are the new gods?

My Mad Max T-shirt designs http://www.redbubble.com/people/biker/t-shirts
Biker

Postby Nightwalker » Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:19 am

It got really started when a minister said something about that "scum" after that accident. Yesterday in our news we saw here, the riods are starting al over France. And they are getting verry fanatic at it. This really could get to a war between the young people and the police/army. And al other people are right in the middle of it. They already burned a flat down where a lot of people had there homes and had nothing to do with this. And what about your hobby car where you worked on a long time and spend a lot of money at. They just burn it right down. I don't want to be in one of hose places right now.
"UNDERSTEER" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"OVERSTEER" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"HORSEPOWER" is how fast you hit the fence.
"TORQUE" is how far you take the fence with you.
Nightwalker

Postby Foxtrot X-Ray » Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:40 pm

Fari sure we could scrounge up a week or two of non perishable food in the house..

We always have Bottled Water, plus I have 17 Gallons of drinkable water in containers in my garage.

On my peron, I habitually carry a Schrade Multi-Finction folding tool, an LED flashlight, one of several large folding knives and on my kychain is a magnesium firestarter.

In my vehicle, I carry 2 cases of bottled water, First Aid Kit, a large Estwing camping axe, a Gerber Hatchet with utility knife rigged to fit up the handle, a USMC Kabar knife, several flashlights (Including a Solar Recharging LED flashlight), Rain Poncho's, Tarps, Paracord, and a variety of other items that have gravitated into the collection.

Also in the truck are several Military Survival Manuals (Interesting reading when stuck in traffic wishing everyone else would Die.

These include chapters on First Aid, Signalling and survival methods and mindset for various conditions, including Desert, Arctic and Post Nuclear.

"Go ahead and run. Run home and cry to mama! Me, I'm Through runnin'!"
Foxtrot X-Ray

Postby Chase Bansi » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:48 am

Along with basic tools, my car has traffic safety equipment (cones, orange flag, safety vest and helmet, stop/slow sign, flares, etc) and a trama first aid kit. I am prepared to assist in any roadside emergency. I also carry a painting respirator, chemical resistant rubber gloves and gogles, rain/cold weather gear, 1 wool blanket(ARMY surplus), unused nylon tarp, 20' nylon cord, a gallon of clean water and a food box w/ half dozen cans of food, 1 M.R.E., jerky, granola, and chocolate bars. My machete is not easy to get to but is is in there with a shortened shovel handle and my Brewer survival knife.

At home I've got maybe 3 weeks of non perishable food and a ton of camping stuff. For water I have a 40 gal water heater that is full of clean fresh water instead of trying to store water for god knows how long. Being part redneck I've got enough ammunition to... well, last for quite awhile.

No matter where you go, there you are MFP 5863
Chase Bansi

Postby Bronze21-MFP460 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:29 am

I got all the stuff I need right here...in the garage. I just need to hurry up and get the car done and throw everything in it, so I could head North, maybe...if I'm still alive after the "poxyclipse." I'm thinking the Yukon region of British Columbia. The Yukon has desolation and wildlife to scavange. I'd carry a bow to hunt food because it's quieter than a gun and won't give your position away in the mountains (echos), and amunition is reusable, but still carry one or two guns for emergencies. I'm thinking an old Grannygun 2-barrel shotgun and a AK-47. Grannyguns can be loaded with rocks if necessary, and the AK can fire different size rounds and works in the harshest conditions. I learned a lot about wilderness survival in the Boy Scouts as well as reading military manuals, so I think I could fare for a while...if I wasn't a pile of glowing ashes in what's left of Detroit. I'll probably die of stress and a heart attack over all of these dumbass drivers first...lol.

Everywhere I go, there I am carrying a large Gerber multi-tool, a 4" folding knife, and a small "Cresent" wrench on my keychain...they all come in handy. I'd feel like Max at Thunderdome if I ever got stopped by a cop and had to empty my pockets...lol.

In the trunk of the PT, I carry two small suitcases full of typical car/trip stuff. There's Spring/Summer/Fall cases (maps, Boy Scout Handbook, ponchos, flashlight, toolkit etc...), and then there's the Winter trunk, which holds all the automotive fluids, duct tape, tow strap, bailing wire, hand rechargable flashlight, two ice scrapers, tent, canned food, propane cook stove/heater, flares, blankets, battery pack, salt, sand, a shovel, hatchet, two short 1"x6"x3ft boards, Water and wind-proof matches, extra jacket, extra gloves, extra socks, extra boots, water and a change of clothes, ditty bag, and first aid kit. I've actually needed some of this stuff when driving out in Colorado and a couple of times here in Michigan...Be prapared.

"The VERMIN have inherited the EARTH."

Bronze21-MFP460

Return to Mad Max 4 - Fury Road