nuclear war

Discuss the facts, the rumours, plot ideas, merchandising ideas, whatever...

nuclear war

Postby Major_Tom » Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:46 am

I'd like to be caught in a withering flash of radiation and, as neutrons and gamma rays sleeted through my fragile body, my physical being and mind would be empowered on an atomic level by nuclear energy and I'd be able to fly, shoot death rays from my fingertips etc. That would help tip the scales in my favour when the gangs take over the highways.

"Remember him... when you look at the night sky.."

"..I will!"
Major_Tom

nuclear war

Postby SimonP » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:44 am

I think one of the best places to be after any sort of ELE (Extinction Level Event) or Nuclear/Nutron or whatever type of war where the majority of the world was wiped out (as we know it anyway) would probably be somewhere like Australia. Simply because it's not a major target for any world power (though it does have the worlds biggest source of untapped uranium in the deserts). It's relatively neutral in political affairs of the world. It's allied with everyone. And it's got these vast wastelands called deserts where no one would bomb simply because there is nothing to destroy.

I'd definately (if I survived but being a bronze I'd probably be one of the first that the "MOB" would take out, hahaha) try to make my way back to Australia. Put my gear in the back of a Ute and head as far as I could into the desert... once there I'd learn from the Aboriginals who've been living there for millenia and who know how to survive in those extremes.

Infact, if I thought that we were going to have a nuclear war or something like that I'd probably be out of the UK quicker than you can poke a stick... :)

Someone bury me a HQ Ute with a 202 engine.. it'll still run!!! :)

But in all probability the best place you could probably be would either be in the depths of a valley somewhere.... or perhaps Antarctica (because it can't get any colder and it's pretty much immune to most crap out there).

:D

Oh, and I'd be the first out on the roads with my machine guns/shotguns/etc.. bugger the other survivors, hahah :) No Mr Nice-Bobby in that case.

From down under...

but living up top!
SimonP

nuclear war

Postby 9 inch » Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:58 pm

ok everyone.forgetting one thing.the guzzleline.the war on oil has already started.so emp can happen coz engine management or no engine management,we still need petrol.

so long as the paperwork is clean,you boys can do anything you like out there
9 inch

nuclear war

Postby lord humungus » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:26 am

Quote: Originally posted by Mad Goose on 03 June 2005

This question does not have to do with Mad Max movies, but with the cotent,

My question is how would we survive a post nuclear war world?

Would people in general be swayed to the philanthropic ways or the crimeful ways?

Go ahead and say what you would do in this situation

question 1. anyone in the imediate 40-50 mile (depending on the kilatone of the device) would be incinerated instandly and be nothig nbut dust in the nuclear wind. anyone who is outside of the range will be blinded if they look into the the blast for even a second. if you within a city and outside the balst your liekly hood of living is slim because if the blast doesn't get you the debre thrown out in all directions with the force of a hurricane sure as hell would.

then there is the fall out that is harder to gauge how far all that debre that is highly radioactive would go for but i would say maybe another 20-30 miles. people would survive butthey couldn't go anywhere near the blast zones for atleast 2,000 years (the shelf life of radioactivity) so if furtile farming land is hit then you food supply is in danger if it's in the water even bigger risks there. i know someoen who was from nagasaki she survived but was blinded because she saw the blast. and yes most cars of today within the blast radious would be dead because of the emp pulse it shorts out electrical components.

as for survival you'd need not only abomb shelter but one lined with lead (only thign that could contain radiactive isotopes safely.) and even then there is no tellign what provisions you would need canned foods,guns for looters,gans,and peopel with radiactive madness who might have the toosl to disloge your shelter doors. not to mention should you be bale to get out of yoru shelter you would need a radiactive suit and way to decontaminate yorus suit everytime you go out and in otherwise you might as well leave the door open and let the radiactivity take you over. slowly one would have to start lookign for a place to grow food and a way to get a hold on no radiactive seeds because there is no tellign what anamials woudl be available and if they were infected or not.

as to the secodn question well i think the world woudl be forever devided...the rich woudl fortifiy themselves the poor would either be workign for them or tryign to hold out and survive themselves. a thrid faction woudl of coruse loot but being that a nuclear war woudl take out power stations and such t.v.s computers all that woudl be useless to loot for non radiactive food would and gusn and ammo not to mention fresh water would be on the lists. dependign on how short a supply all these lements woudl be would depend on who desprate peopel would get some loot for their families others do it for fun and pleasure. but it would by no means be bsuiness as usual in a major nuke situation and no government. thought one might try to be established again down the road withotu a military to back it up it would make the owrld a hard place to live govern over most of us woudl jsut try to survive to see another day.
lord humungus

nuclear war

Postby BrentJackson » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:39 am

[div]There are a few things to point out here.[/div]
[div] [/div]
[div]Like any explosion, the damage is far greater at the center and diminshes as you go farther from it. If a large warhead was detonated (say 20-25 megatons) it would vaporize anything within a good 10-15 mile radius, blow everything for about another 25 more completely apart, and blow out windows and doors for many more miles beyond that. Then the heat from the blast would torch everything. This is what they mean by Nuclear winter - the smoke from the fires blocks the sun, and causes temperatures to drop.[/div]
[div] [/div]
[div]Radiation from Nuclear wepaons lasts hundreds, possibly thousands of years, but radioactivity's nature means that the first few half-lives are when it decays quickest. Hiroshima, for instance, its radiation level halves itself about every seven years now. Now, if its a war where many bombs go off, the radioactivity in the areas where the nukes went off would be incredibly high. And death from radiation poisoning is not fun - usually involve you choking to death and your thyroid and diaphgram seal themselves shut.[/div]
[div] [/div]
[div]Now, post war, following the air patterns would be where the radioation goes, and since winds in the northern Hemisphere are mostly eastward, Europe provided it wasn't leveled would be all right. the USA and Russia would be a mess, aside from some parts of the US farther away from major population centers and some parts of Siberia.[/div]
[div] [/div]
[div]Now, most of the nations in the southern Hemisphere are relatively neutral in world affairs. Australia is in this boat. Two things regarding civilization could happen.[/div]
[div] [/div]
[div]1 - survivors go crazy trying to collect food and things for themselves, but eventually realize that not all of them are born survivalists. These people would flood south, populating Africa, South America and Australia. It doesn't hurt that these climates range from warm to hot. The survivors, assuming they could get along with the local populations (a big IF in some parts of Africa) would then turn around and try to rebuild there. Possible, but would take a huge change of thinking on the parts of a lot of people. But a nuclear war might just have that effect.[/div]
[div] [/div]
[div]2 - Survivors just all go crazy and raise every bit of trouble they could.[/div]
[div] [/div]
[div]Second one is more likely now, but since billions haven't perished in a nuclear armageddon, we won't know which of the above would be the answer.[/div]
[div] [/div]
[div]Australia is not likely to be nuked in a war. Most relatively bi-partisan nations - including those in the northern hemisphere - would likely not get hit that hard, if at all. Russia and the USA don't forget mostly target only each other. So, a lot of dead Americans and Russians, but south of the equator a relatively unharmed, if no doubt vastly changed and incredibly shaken world. (Also, no south of the equator nations have nuclear warheads - the only ones that did were Brazil, Argentina and South Africa, and all of them have long since dismatled them. Australia has always been vehemently anti-nuclear.)[/div]
BrentJackson

nuclear war

Postby SimonP » Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:53 am

Vehemently anti-nuclear Australia still has warheads.. it'd be silly to think it didn't.. It just doesn't advertise them.. besides that, what else do you think is at Pine-Gap? :)

Anyway, no need to worry, I don't believe there will ever be a Nuclear war simply because all the nations of the world agree these days that a nuclear based war would leave no winners (except perhaps Australia hahahah).

Then again, who the heck really knows!!

Si

From down under...

but living up top!
SimonP

nuclear war

Postby lord humungus » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:53 am

welll i think that strategy should change. ys there is no garuanteee of what i am abotu to see but somehow i think a major world wide bioweapons war would be worse alot worse and a hell of alot more painful then what i read on radiation sickness.

picture this...(assuming you don't hear the seirens and people screaming.) you walking along you see a flash of light you think someones taken you picture...for scant second you feel the worst pain imaginable then you dead flash fried nothing but ash if that.

i think i'd rather go that way then to be bleeading from my eyes nose and anus; for several hours even days while my internal organs slowly liquifiy. given what i read from both nuclear attacks and bio attack research i'll take the extra crispy over the slow sering painful interal death.

lord humungus

Previous

Return to Mad Max 4 - Fury Road