How Would You Improve Thunderdome?

Discuss the facts, the rumours, plot ideas, merchandising ideas, whatever...

Postby Tom Millan » Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:35 am

I took Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome back to the editing room two years ago. I do this with some movies- not every movie. I don't advertise this MM 3- I only show my friends. Nine times out of ten, they like my 'revamped' version better than the actual version.

As for the actual version, here is a list of what I would have preffered to see in MAD MAX Beyond Thunderdome.

1: the title: "MAD MAX Beyond No Tomorrow" is one.

"MAD MAX: Back to the Kill" is another.

"Enter MAD MAX" is another.

2: the title design: I would have preferred to see an action sequence behind the title just like the other two.

3: The music: I would have preferred that Tina Turner

NOT sing those two rediculous songs like she did.

Also, the music in general should have been more serious and darker.

4: In Bartertown, Max should have shot the blade wheeling mohawked security guard in the face which would have caused a shock of a frenzy among the surounding crowd. Then, Max would be arrested and taken to Aunty's quarters. Along the way, Max would look at the Bartertown inhabitants and see people that were deformed and other people that died thus being mourned- only by flies or maggotts.

5: In the thunderdome battle sequence, after Max knocks Blaster's helmet off, Blaster's personality would not have been that of a boy. Rather, his face

would either be badly deformed or he would have had a beard, mustache and a sadistic attitude. Max wouldn't have spared him. Instead, he kills him with that big war hammer- Austin would have regardless of Blaster's identity. The kill would have shocked some Bartertown spectators because of the gruesome scene. He leaves the dome to meet Auntie in her abode about their deal. Instead, she double crosses him by denying they ever met and bannishes him from the city.

6: After Max passes out in the wasteland and is found by one of the 'cave kids' (as I call them), he is dragged back to their little village. In this scene, there isn't much to look at. There is no 'tinker toy- don't they look cute' music that's playing, The music is more serious. The kids look more serious and don't sport those rediculous hairdoos- especially this one kid that looks like he has a bird's nest on his head minus the bird ( maybe it didn't survive the fallout).

Max's hair is not cut. It's kept long. He is shown the slides by the cave kids of how they think he's their pilot and so- on. He tells them that they're nuts and is NOT their leader- he tells them there is not a 'tomorrowmorrowmorrow land' and that they should stay where they are. He doesn't hurt any of them except their rebellious leader- punching her in the face was just fine.

One of the cave kids that died in the wasteland- they should have made the scene more intense and showed him die.

When Max and his partners rescue Master from the pig pen and the alarm went off a scene should have been done where Max points at the scope when he knows Auntie is looking at him. Looking extremely pissed off, he points at Auntie with a so-called 'you're dead for crossing me' look.

When they escape in the truck/train and explosions and fire floods Bartertown, some people should have been shown getting killed in the chaos including afew people ingulfed in flames.

During the chase, Iron bar is not the one that ends up infront of the trucktrain that blows up his car. Rather, have the explosion still happen but to another mobster-- say, Black Finger. Ironbar is climbing on the trucktrain from behind when the explosion happens. The force of impact causes some equipment to become damaged causing Ironbar to hang on to a pipe that swings to the side. We have the usual scene where he dodges the bridge decks but when he thinks he's safe, the pipe simply snaps and he falls to his demise.

When they are approaching the dead end that contains the little kid aiming several rifles, that kid yells for the trucktrain to stop or else. Max slams on the brake pedal and sparks cascade all over the place as the vehicle tries to stop. Acouple brake shoes fire out because of how worn out they are. The kids panic. Master, despite his size, tries to protect them from the approaching crash.

The 'riflekid' is waiting for the vehicle to stop on his threat or he'll shoot. It slow itself but looks as though it can't come to dead halt. Seeing this, the riflekid says "sh*t..!.." and jumps out of the way. The trucktrain hits the dead end. It goes toward the 'riflekid' as he runs for his little life saying the word "sh*t.." repeatedly. With sand and rocks flying everywhere in slow motion, the vehicle finally comes to stop. Smoke is everywhere. Acouple 'cavekids' are dead and the other kids cry with a frenzy. Max closes their (the deceased) eyes- paying his respects- he doesn't care about Auntie's gang that's approaching. That's the last thing on his mind for a moment. He then sees the riflekid running to the chevy and into the ground. Max and the kids follow him. Eventually Max comes in contact with the man that robbed him in the first act of the movie. The robber reaches for a sawed off shotgun when Max throws a knife at him- hitting him in the shoulder. Grabbing the shotgun from him, Max shoots him in the leg to somehow get even. The robber takes Max and the kids onto the plane. Inside, Max sees a belt of shotgun shells and grabs them.

Max then gets off the plane since it has to do a u- turn and get on the vehicle to 'create a runway' for the plane to take off. The rest of the end sequence is okay. After the collision that Max avoided by jumping off his vehicle, he is approached by Auntie and her thugs. Max gets shot in his injured leg again and gets shot on his right arm. His shoulder gets shot by an arrow. One of the mobsters throws Max his jacket with a sarcastic smirk. Auntie and her thugs drive off- the tires have next to no treads indicating that they've been places before the creation of Bartertown

The rest of the end sequence and epilogue is okay BUT just as the movie fades to black the music should be very serious and haunting like the two other films.

Whew!!! So, what do you think? I know for a fact that if the above statements would have happened that way, then the film would get an R rating. The reason why hardly anybody died in the film was so it could get a PG- 13 rating and therefore would make more $$$$$$.

Tom

Pray that he's still out there... somewhere...
Tom Millan

Postby Tom Millan » Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:38 pm

OH BY THE WAY! I just remembered! In 1987, I read this Magazine article on Mel Gibson's pitch about the character he was playing, Martin Riggs in Lethal Weapon 1. He said that he liked the character alot because it was a great 'vent' for him. That's good BUT what he said about Max Rockatansky ISN'T so good. He said that in "Beyond Thunderdome", Max lost his edge. The madness was gone and Max is (not was) a wimp. Then Gibson concluded by saying that Max was the kind of man where you could pull his pants down and spend the whole day by throwing darts at his ass. After saying those things, he jumped right back into eagerly talking about Riggs.

Tom.
Tom Millan

Postby Bubba Fat » Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:10 am

Gibson is no longer interested in playing in what he denotes as t(h)rash movies ...Image
I could probably make it on my own, but I like you kids.
Bubba Fat

Postby Tom Millan » Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:35 am

Oh well, its Mel's loss. No big deal. Russel Crowe should play Max or how about William Peterson from CSI?...or how about Brad Pitt?... or even better...

how about... Vin Diesel?... Yah, I'll go with Diesel. He played an excellent anti hero in "Pitch Black" and its sequel "The Chronicles Of Riddick" and he played a very convincing role in "Saving Private Rion"....how about...ME?...yeah right.....where's my Pepto?

"I should look at myself...I'm a mess."

"Come on.!. Cut the crap.."

Tom
Tom Millan

Postby Uncle Entity » Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:26 pm

Milian,

Maybe in that interview MEL was referring to LETHAL WEAPON 4's Martin Riggs, the worst piece of sh*t on two legs I have ever seen. Martin was just ridiculous in the movie. At least, in Thunderdome Max was "vulnerable", but still managed to beat some ass out. In LW4, Martin Riggs was as menacing as my grandma, and JET LI treated him like a feather duster.

I think Max would not agree about Mel's fantasies on his ass. He would kill this small, pathetic actor in few seconds, even in MMBTHUNDERDOME.

f**k you, Gibson, you coc*suc*er.
Mel Gibson's Max to Tom Hardy's Max: "give me my life back, interdimensional counterpart!"
Uncle Entity

Postby Bubba Fat » Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:18 pm

I would be curious to see what will happen with Gibson in a couples of years. This guy had/has a big drinking problem. I'm pretty sure that MM4 was one of his last chances to come back on the big screen with something else than ridiculous crap.

I'm no longer a fan of him ...
Bubba Fat

Postby XAMan » Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:21 am

While we are crucifying our hero ... ironically the theme of Mel's last film ...

Bubba suggested that "This guy had/has a big drinking problem. " Bingo !!! Booze, Coke and women in copious quantities are Mr G's Achilles heel. The born again zealot who now has his own chapel lived life to the 'max' now tells us how to live our lives ... the bloated hypocrite !!!
XAMan (Pete)

'Lingerie ... remember lingerie ...'
XAMan

Postby Bubba Fat » Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:04 pm

Yup. Life can be rough for some people ...

ImageImage
Bubba Fat

Postby MFP1 » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:47 pm

Oh Man That Is Sad! Look at those to pics....

Oh Well. Anyway he looks "Aged" enough for the new MM4 movie, if he can pull his nose out of ths "Scarface" pile long enough....and "Say 'Ello to my 'lil Friend!"
"We'll see you on the road scag, We'll see you like we saw the nightrider!!!", "Perhaps its a result of anxiety...." MFP1
MFP1

Postby rockatansky4073 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:08 am

I still dig MEL, he's to sentimental to me, i grew up with him, whatever career chices he takes now, will still remember MAX, RIGGS(part 1 and 2 anyhow), THE RIVER, HAMLET, TEQUILLA SUNRISE, THE BOUNTY, GALLIPOLI, TIM, and PAYBACK.
FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DOWNLOAD FURY ROAD!
rockatansky4073

Next

Return to Mad Max 4 - Fury Road