My Thoughts On Fury Road (Part Two)

Discuss the facts, the rumours, plot ideas, merchandising ideas, whatever...

My Thoughts On Fury Road (Part Two)

Postby Eric94 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:26 am

In Part Two, I'll be talking about what I thought of the vehicles in Fury Road.

First of all, we have to talk about the Interceptor. It's the elephant in the room.

It begins in a beat-up condition like in RW and it winds up as a silver, all-metal monstrosity with two superchargers and a skull on it called the "Razor Cola".
Did you like the new design or not? Me, I liked it sort of. I like the mesh headlight covers in particular and the metal color. I also liked that every part of the
car was redesigned as a weapon. Like what happened to Vader in Star Wars, this was like the Interceptor becoming a villain. What I did not like was that the Citadel forces removed the fuel tanks in the back. Presumably, they did it to make room for the lancer in the back and they had stores of "guzzoline" from Gastown, but I'm thinking that they would have benefited from having the tanks for these long, drawn-out campaigns and road wars. Another thing that I didn't like was that it seemed to be kind of slow and I reallydo think the Interceptor should be the fastest. In its day, it was the fastest but it had a hard time overtaking the War Rig even when it was damaged. Slit had to
cheat to make it pull ahead. Also, Nux didn't have a hard time catching up to it in his car even when it was intact.That to me says that the Interceptor was either past its prime or that the War Boys did a bad job (very unlikely). I was impressed with its twin-supercharger setup....until I did research and found that it really doesn't contribute much to engine power, so it's just an unnecessary add-on. It looks cool though to see it because it's exaggerated and extreme like the War Boys.
As for its demise, I fondly remember the scene where it gets crushed and explodes. Too bad Max didn't get it back, but maybe he'll rebuild it one day. One last
thing: The Razor Cola's engine has a very distinct roar to it that's different from the Interceptor and unusual even for a muscle car. I wonder if anyone has
the sound files of its engine? I'd love to take a listen to them when they're isolated. Hearing it blew me away in the theater.

The War Rig has a very interesting, ramshackle design to it. It looks like something as Mad Max-ish as we might ever see and it's one of the many things that I
love about the series. I noticed the air starter homage to the Road Warrior. Not much to say about this one that hasn't been talked about. I like it. Its demise
gave redemption to Nux and blocked the way out for the War Boys, so it still had a useful purpose at the end.

The Gigahorse is the real star of the cars as far as memorability goes. I wonder what happened to that after filming wrapped? Did someone end up with it?
It's not exactly a daily driver but it would get you a lot of attention. I saw the commentary by Miller about it and I understand just how it fits Joe.
It's big enough to manhandle the War Rig and fast enough to rush right past it. (I doubt in real life it would go that quick, as it looks as aerodynamic as
a house, but that's beside the point.) I love everything about its design, and I was waiting for it to crash. You know, most villains in the series crash
their vehicles at the end. I was a little disappointed when there was no crash for it, but Furiosa gets to keep it and I'm glad that it was spared because they
probably didn't have a second one of those, did they?

Nux's Hot Rod is forgettable. It doesn't even have a name. Moving on.

Ah, the Doof Wagon. The rolling platform for the fife and drum team of the Citadel. Doesn't look like it'd be fast enough to keep up with the pack of V8s though,
does it? But it does. This vehicle is more memorable for the band on it than the truck itself. I really like the fight scene on top of it.

The People Eater's limo-big rig thing was interesting to look at. A tractor-trailer wouldn't be my first choice for a high-speed pursuit, though. But it did
serve a function as the army's refueling depot. Its explosion was very grand and memorable.

The Bullet Farmer's Ripsaw tank-muscle car thing was one of my favorite vehicles in the movie. Really suited the character's miltaristic styling and it was
one of the best choices I can think of for the Wasteland. It has treads AND a V8! I wish we had seen its explosion, but George wanted to leave it to the imagination.

Bigfoot was mostly forgettable except for the scene where it drives through the flames. I've seen monster trucks in person, as well as Deuce Coupes (Nux's car.) so
it wasn't as breathtaking as some of the designs. On top of that, it's one of the least practical vehicles I can think of in a road battle. They don't go very fast,
they have big wheels that can easily be flattened, shocks that can be taken out and it's a big target. It fits Rictus since he's not that bright and he's big. As
for its crash, it wasn't as impressive as the others but I don't think it was supposed to be.

The spiky cars of the bandits were clearly a nod to "The Cars That Ate Paris" which I was able to see on a TV station one time.

The rest are background vehicles that didn't get much screentime, so I think I'm done here.

What did you think of the vehicles in all honesty?
Eric94

Re: My Thoughts On Fury Road (Part Two)

Postby Taipan » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:40 am

Interesting question.

To judge the vehicles of Fury Road I have to go back to the Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome.

With the Road Warrior I loved all of those cars because they really felt like they were just picked from the road and modified, not made from scrap or any of that. They had a distinct design that fit the highways the most but could also perform okay off road as long as it's not sand I suppose. They were really grounded except for two vehicles - Humungus' and The Lone Wolf machine. Those two were a sign of things to come, i.e. scratch built vehicles that we would see in Thunderdome.

In Thunderdome the vehicles had a specific set of ground rules they had to obey and that was - off road capability and running on methane plus lack of car bodies. I know a lot of people don't like those cars, they say they're just too weird but given the rules they had to stick to I think they fit perfectly into the world.

Now the cars of Fury Road are different. I wasn't really expecting them to look like this given that in MMBT we saw barely any car bodies whatsoever, but hey, apparently if you set new ground rules for Fury Road everything can make sense. So Brendan McCarthy, Miller and Peter Pound decided that Fury Road will stay away from dune buggies and street racers this time. Instead we got hot rods inspired by Big Daddy Roth. Yes it makes sense since Immortan created a 'car religion'. Yes it makes sense for cars to be in polished bare metal, everything makes sense but somehow in a Mad Max world it doesn't seem fit for me. I remember the first time I saw the Gigahorse and immediately dogged on it for looking cartoonish. Most of those cars have jacked rears and off road tyres. The War Rig looks mean but it looks like it's a military truck at its core, it didn't have that Australian Mack road rig feel from RW. I don't know, it's hard for me to explain but cars from Road Warrior were much more about the car culture than Fury Road cars that are about cartoonish car culture, do you know what I mean?

I think the main thing here is that the car aspect of the first 2 movies was strictly Byron Kennedy's ballpark. He loved Australian car culture and it showed in Mad Max and Mad Max 2. The way it carried over to MMBT was logical and I liked it because it was utilitarian. But there was no Kennedy's supervision, there was no additions. I kid you not I the things I look for the most in MMBT cars are the rims and the rear bumper on the Cow Car because those seem to be throwbacks to actual cars we saw in other Mad Max movies. But in Fury Road it looks like Miller wanted to push the design of those cars in a completely different direction...

Look, they may have twin blowers, skulls everywhere, jacked rear suspensions, flamethrowers and harpoon guns but it's just a little too over the top for me. Even fully understanding the motives of War Boys and their love for mechanical things, cars. To compare it to RW again, in RW the cars felt like really taken from that existing car culture and they were shoved into a dystopian reality. In FR it's as if War Boys took inspiration from comic books. It doesn't exactly fly with me.

Having all said that, I don't dislike the cars in Fury Road, it's just that they don't make such a big impression on me, those cars are trying a little too hard for my taste. And the car that I like the most I think is going to be the off road Holden HZ Ute. Looks normal :)
At last the Vermin had inherited the Earth
Taipan

Postby Artemis Flow » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:34 am

I loved all the vehicles in Fury Road just like the movie they were over the top whacky and they had to be to top the cars in the previous movies,I had the opportunity to look at a lot of them close up and the work put into them was impressive , Razor Cola is a beast in real life , I got to peer into the cabins of the War Rig and Gigahorse which is a massive vehicle
When I was shown a pic of Nuxs car back in 2012 by a crew / cast member and told it was the "hero" vehicle I was hardly impressed until I heard it run in real life its a nasty little unit lol
You can hear some of the engines in this video I took in Sydney at the Opera House stunt show / premier day https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N929gjLLzkk
I also like how the failing engine noise onthe War Rig was the same sound bite as the engine failing on the Millenium Falcon from Star Wars
To answer your question about Gigahorse yes 2 of them were made and both survive for more details on surviving cars see http://furyroadvehicles.blogspot.com.au/2016/01/where-are-they-now.html
My fave vehicle was the Buzzard excavator the scene when it appears smashing through the 2 wrecks and emerging from the dust it was my "fuck yes !" moment in the film :twisted:
* New site Fury Road Vehicles - http://furyroadvehicles.blogspot.com.au/
*Sydney Fury Road Stunt show - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N929gjLLzkk
*Hitler reacts to Mad Max Fury Road - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-_km-xssIA
Artemis Flow

Postby AquaCola » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:35 am

I loved the cars in Fury Road. Favourite one being the Doof Wagon and People Eater Limo. I never really thought much about how the cars looked in the previous 3 films but after FR I went back and watched them seeing a whole other side of MM.

Artemis Flow wrote:My fave vehicle was the Buzzard excavator the scene when it appears smashing through the 2 wrecks and emerging from the dust it was my "fuck yes !" moment in the film :twisted:

The scene just after that where Furiosa looks in the mirror and sees the buzz saw, digger and spikes sticking out of the dust is so cool. Its like some giant unimaganeable sea monster. You can imagine a lot of people met there end after seeing that coming up behind them.
AquaCola

Postby Turbofurball » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:12 am

I felt that the Fury Road vehicles fitted the parts well; yes they were bombastic and over-the-top, but then so much of Immortan Joe was about intimidation and image that it made sense that his fleet would be the same - the Buzzard, Rock Rider, and Vuvalini vehicles were a pretty big contrast, and each reflected their tribe too.

In the cars of MM2 there's a similar idea with Humungus' armada - there are four distinct groups of vehicles in there (the bikers, bad cops, buggies, and hot rods (for want of a better term)), which all would have been seperate entities at some point.

So, on that basis, I didn't think FR departed from the theme like Taipan suggested!
Whoever they send here, we're gonna catch 'em, we're gonna cook 'em, and we're gonna eat 'em!
Turbofurball

Postby MWFV8 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:32 am

Fury Road went far too wacky races for me. The unmodified hauler never fails to stand out and give me a far more harrowing image of a dystopia. This is one of those cases where a low budget can help a film stay more grounded. Maybe it could have worked if the characters were less fantasy world like and the gunplay hadn't gotten so unrealistic.
"Wrong, we fight for a belief. I stay."
MWFV8

Postby Dinki Di » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:08 pm

Wish there'd been a pink Caddy with a pink-bearded warrior in there somewhere, if only for him to be accidentally flamed to death in a 3 second shot by Rictus. Would he look more or less out of place in this movie than he did before?

I agree TRW kept most everything grounded and Fury Road feels like fairytale in comparison, but it is what it is and considering that I enjoyed watching those vehicles and the larger than life take on the designs. In the end though my fave was still the War Rig and Max's car, I'm biased toward the more grounded-looking beat-up stuff.

I know the Buzzards were probably influenced by The Cars That Ate Paris but they make sense as a design in this world, I liked their beat-up industrial look too, even if they did get severely owned within minutes by the War Rig and its protection.
Dinki Di

Postby MWFV8 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:59 am

Dinki Di wrote:Wish there'd been a pink Caddy with a pink-bearded warrior in there somewhere, if only for him to be accidentally flamed to death in a 3 second shot by Rictus. Would he look more or less out of place in this movie than he did before?

I agree TRW kept most everything grounded and Fury Road feels like fairytale in comparison, but it is what it is and considering that I enjoyed watching those vehicles and the larger than life take on the designs. In the end though my fave was still the War Rig and Max's car, I'm biased toward the more grounded-looking beat-up stuff.

I know the Buzzards were probably influenced by The Cars That Ate Paris but they make sense as a design in this world, I liked their beat-up industrial look too, even if they did get severely owned within minutes by the War Rig and its protection.

My only complaint with the buzzards were the sound effects. I felt like I was watching a Transformers movie.

The War Rig will go down in history as a great hero car. I wish they'd made more use out of the front scoop. It must have played a bigger part in the story in some draft.

What frustrates me is, while the Fury Road cars were over the top, they were made to be very capable and that's really not demonstrated well in the movie. Bar the opening scene where a truck jumps the camera, they just race across flat plains of desert. If you'd put these cars into the The Road Warrior story they would have dominated.
"Wrong, we fight for a belief. I stay."
MWFV8

Postby Taipan » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:36 am

I don't know, I think I might be the only one who absolutely loathes the sound of the War Rig.

Why does this truck sound like a fucking Pod Racer? It doesn't convey power at all. Case in point - when the car carrier closes in on the War Rig you can hear it's awesome turbo and it really sells the idea that it's a huge truck hauling a whole bunch of heavy stuff behind it, and it also sounds realistic.

On the other hand whenever the camera focuses on the engine of the War Rig it does those weird wonky noises, it's either the Millenium falcon or some fading in and out hairdryer sound. Hell, even the Mack startup in MM2 sounded awesome without any over the top manipulation. I'll go even further - the sound of Max's camel wagon at the end of MMBT when it goes in front of the plane sounds heaps better than anything I could hear in Fury Road. In fact I was hoping for exactly that sound when the Razor Cola was about to smash into Max - a straight up dragster sound, but it just sounded like a pitched up V8 instead.
At last the Vermin had inherited the Earth
Taipan

Postby Dinki Di » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:11 pm

There was only one point the Rig made a sound like a rig and that was when they parked it up to make the deal for the fuel I think...

A beast like that would be loud, there's no way Max and Furiosa would be having quiet conversations like they do in the cab, they'd be yelling at each other to be heard over that thing. But, it's bizarre the makers said they wanted the War Rig to be a "main character" too, and didn't give it some kind of roar or growl or anything to add to its personality. I can see why some shots needed it to be silent, but there's so many outside shots where you just don't hear much at all and that sucks.
Dinki Di

Next

Return to Mad Max 4 - Fury Road