Fury Road set 50 years after the Apocalypse?

Discuss the facts, the rumours, plot ideas, merchandising ideas, whatever...

Fury Road set 50 years after the Apocalypse?

Postby AquaCola » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:41 am

Screen Shot 2015-10-27 at 14.31.09.png
Screen Shot 2015-10-27 at 14.31.09.png (160.73 KiB) Viewed 1192 times

"The coastal cities have been razed and the games have maraudered across the landscape like locusts. It's Australia 50 years after the apocalypse"

This was from the latest issue of Empire. Straight from Miller's mouth. George has been very reluctant to say when or where Fury Road is set, only ever saying it was a revisit rather than reboot or sequel. I wish we had gotten audio commentary on the Blue-Ray release to further explain the oil and water wars. For me this also negates the continuity the comics desperately tried to force together since Max would be 70ish? years old.
AquaCola

Re: Fury Road set 50 years after the Apocalypse?

Postby scfc68 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:36 am

I think in fairness to the comics and the continuity issues, I think you are just meant to reimagine the events of MM, RW & BTD as being further in the future ie MM being set in say 2030 (just ignore the 70s look) I personally have no issue with this although I know others do. My enjoyment of Fury Road is far enhanced in knowing it relates to the other movies by way of the comics if you so desire it. Others prefer it as a reboot but personally I have so invested in the previous movies that a reboot wasn't ever going to be the same. I needed a proper follow up to MM2 and although BTD still stands in my choice of timeline my wish was fulfilled. The comics have given me that choice but Im fine if people wish to ignore them. Crucially though George Miller has not rejected them so I don't understand the neg vibes on this site when people wish all the films to fit together. Enjoy what floats your boat and respect others choices :D

Somehow I don't think the appetites for the new Star Wars would be anything close if the films were announced as a reboot :|
scfc68

Postby Taipan » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:17 am

Miller said that date many times before (e.g. source, source2), but he never really said that it took place in Australia until now.

I think it should be common knowledge by now that FR was originally a direct sequel to MMBT (source 3 [39:36] source 4) with Mel Gibson as the 'old warrior' Max (totally insane and animalistic from isolation BTW, just like we see Tom Hardy in FR) source 5.

But due to cast changes and production hell it's now a sequel/reboot hybrid. You can look at this movie in whichever way you want, but I agree with scfc68 that there's an emphasis on treating it as a reboot. BUT since it was conceived as a sequel by design you can treat it as such too if you wish (just switch Hardy with Mel and everything except some 'modern additions' - a few modern cars and some modern references - falls into place). Which is interesting because if I remember correctly, one of our forum members - blackmocco - went to see test screenings of FR and his initial reaction was that he felt this movie was written for Mel. Which it was.

Here's an article I wrote about those timeline inconsistencies in Fury Road and where they come from, I hope you find it interesting.
At last the Vermin had inherited the Earth
Taipan

Postby Stef-Man » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:23 am

It's a great job you did on your article, Taipan. A great read.

How do you know the Host of the Thunderdome Plus is Dr. Dealgood? I have to read again my comic! :D

Speaking of the game... We all have families (the lucky ones at least), huge ones for a lot of us. Why not Max? I read in this picture what I see: a girl and a woman in a (apparently) private swimmingpool: it's family for sure, but why a wife and daughter wrote on the back of the pic : "We miss you, Max. Come back soon"? As a cop, Max was out for duty three days in a row if my memory serves well (MM1). I think it's a pic of, for exemple, Max's sister and niece maybe. It makes sense. Family who hasn't seen Max for a long time. Knowing Max has a beach house doesn't fit with the luxurious swimminpool (I played the videogame once, maybe my memory fails me).
Stef-Man

Postby MWFV8 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:55 am

Taipan wrote:Here's an article I wrote about those timeline inconsistencies in Fury Road and where they come from, I hope you find it interesting.

Great work, dude.
"Wrong, we fight for a belief. I stay."
MWFV8

Postby BRC1974 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:48 am

Stef-Man wrote:It's a great job you did on your article, Taipan. A great read.

How do you know the Host of the Thunderdome Plus is Dr. Dealgood? I have to read again my comic! :D

BRC1974

Postby Stef-Man » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:35 am

Ok. The line didn't seem to me as a reference to the Bartertown's Thundydome. I reckoned that the Thunderdome concept wasn't rare in the Wasteland, due to travellers from Bartertown or from other places. Maybe Thunderdome is common in those times. Maybe I'm wrong and it IS really Dealgood :lol: I have to check my comic though, to see the face of the host.
Stef-Man

Postby Stef-Man » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:16 am

Sorry, but the old man with the blond hair doesn't seem to be Dr Dealgood to me.
Stef-Man

Postby Uncle Entity » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:22 pm

You're always invited to read (in case you did not yet) my very successful Mad Max website about the timelines of the movies:

http://madmaxtimeline.blogspot.com

8-) 8-) 8-)
Mel Gibson's Max to Tom Hardy's Max: "give me my life back, interdimensional counterpart!"
Uncle Entity

Postby Stef-Man » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:10 am

;)
Sorry, I don't buy the reboot thingy and/or alternate universes.
Stef-Man

Next

Return to Mad Max 4 - Fury Road