The sawn-off shotgun in Fury Road

Discuss the facts, the rumours, plot ideas, merchandising ideas, whatever...

The sawn-off shotgun in Fury Road

Postby Trundlefish » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:52 pm

Having seen Fury Road more than once, I've been wondering if the shotgun that Max finds beside Nux and the wrecked car (just after the storm sequence) was supposed to be Max' shotgun all along. I don't recall seeing Max with the shotgun either holstered or otherwise before this scene.

If it isn't Max' shotgun, then did it belong to Nux (seeing as the immediate wreckage and debris came from Nux car)?

It has been stated that the story and script barely altered after Mel Gibson exited the lead role of Fury Road, so would it have been a way for Max to regain another sawn-off shotgun after surrendering his last one in Bartertown (Beyond Thunderdome).

If you subscribe to the direct sequel idea, then it makes perfect sense. If not, then what do you think?

It's also worth noting that the only other time the shotgun is seen, is when Max encounters Furiosa and the Five Wives for the first time, then within the war-rig when Max is collecting all the hidden weapons and placing them in a bag.
Trundlefish
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 2:43 pm

Re: The sawn-off shotgun in Fury Road

Postby Uncle Entity » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:33 pm

Trundlefish wrote:Having seen Fury Road more than once, I've been wondering if the shotgun that Max finds beside Nux and the wrecked car (just after the storm sequence) was supposed to be Max' shotgun all along. I don't recall seeing Max with the shotgun either holstered or otherwise before this scene.

If it isn't Max' shotgun, then did it belong to Nux (seeing as the immediate wreckage and debris came from Nux car)?

It has been stated that the story and script barely altered after Mel Gibson exited the lead role of Fury Road, so would it have been a way for Max to regain another sawn-off shotgun after surrendering his last one in Bartertown (Beyond Thunderdome).

If you subscribe to the direct sequel idea, then it makes perfect sense. If not, then what do you think?

It's also worth noting that the only other time the shotgun is seen, is when Max encounters Furiosa and the Five Wives for the first time, then within the war-rig when Max is collecting all the hidden weapons and placing them in a bag.


Great question.
I just think it was HIS SHOTGUN, since Nux had stolen his possessions... jacket, boots, shotgun. I guess...

I got another question:

Was the bag filled with weapons supposed to be the one Max brings with him strapped on his jacket later in the movie? I suppose.
Mel Gibson's Max to Tom Hardy's Max: "give me my life back, interdimensional counterpart!"
User avatar
Uncle Entity
 
Posts: 2454
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2000 4:54 am
Location: Naples, Italy.

Re: The sawn-off shotgun in Fury Road

Postby Brasher » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:35 pm

You can see Max's shotty hanging under his right arm in the opening shot of the film. Hard to spot, but it is there.

I assume the one Nux has is his.

It would have been empty like in MM2 when he gets captured, guess that's why he breaks it and checks before trying to blow Nux's hand off.
"Two days ago I saw a vehicle that'd haul that tanker"
Brasher
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:07 pm

Re: The sawn-off shotgun in Fury Road

Postby Trundlefish » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:10 pm

Brasher wrote:You can see Max's shotty hanging under his right arm in the opening shot of the film. Hard to spot, but it is there.

I assume the one Nux has is his.

It would have been empty like in MM2 when he gets captured, guess that's why he breaks it and checks before trying to blow Nux's hand off.


I had a look at the trailers again, but still can't see a shotgun under Max' arm.

Also, was it ever fully revealed what Max was actually doing in the opening scene? It seems to me that he's trying to tune into a radio/news broadcast, as you can see a stainless steel headphone (like an old fashioned headphone) band at the back of his neck, plus it ties in with the opening voiceovers from news reports.

Whether he is actually trying to tune in (in the hope of finding some sort of remains of civilisation), or is quite simply 'nuts', and just thinks he's tuning in (but it's all in his head) is another topic altogether.

If there actually were any broadcasts still to be heard I can't say (although there is talk of satellites and shows later on, between the Five Wives and the Vuvalini.)
Last edited by Trundlefish on Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trundlefish
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 2:43 pm

Re: The sawn-off shotgun in Fury Road

Postby Uncle Entity » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:13 pm

Trundlefish wrote:

Whether he is actually trying to tune in (in the hope of finding some sort of remains of civilisation), or is quite simply 'nuts', and just thinks he's tuning in (but it's all in his head) is another topic altogether.



The second one. He was also having auditory hallucinations about the past, the radio broadcastings about the apocalypse.
Mel Gibson's Max to Tom Hardy's Max: "give me my life back, interdimensional counterpart!"
User avatar
Uncle Entity
 
Posts: 2454
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2000 4:54 am
Location: Naples, Italy.

Re: The sawn-off shotgun in Fury Road

Postby RedHotRyder » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:07 pm

Uncle Entity wrote:
Trundlefish wrote:

Whether he is actually trying to tune in (in the hope of finding some sort of remains of civilisation), or is quite simply 'nuts', and just thinks he's tuning in (but it's all in his head) is another topic altogether.



The second one. He was also having auditory hallucinations about the past, the radio broadcastings about the apocalypse.


I think he is looking at a hand drawn map of the area. Later in the movie he has a map like this that he shows to Furiosa so it seams just as plausible that he is perhaps making one for this area. That just my opinion.
RedHotRyder
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 10:53 am

Re: The sawn-off shotgun in Fury Road

Postby Brasher » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:37 pm

Fury Road Max Start.jpg
Fury Road Max Start.jpg (595.79 KiB) Viewed 597 times
"Two days ago I saw a vehicle that'd haul that tanker"
Brasher
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:07 pm


Return to Mad Max 4 - Fury Road

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 2 guests