Questions about Joe's face mask (SPOILERS)

Discuss the facts, the rumours, plot ideas, merchandising ideas, whatever...

Questions about Joe's face mask (SPOILERS)

Postby flightsuit » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:50 am

Two things:

1. Has there been any speculation about the significance of his mask's open-mouthed gape after the crash that kills Splendid and her child? It was such a surreal thing that I later wondered if I had imagined it, and was only sure it really happened when I saw the film a second time.

2. What, exactly, happened when Furiosa ripped his face mask off? Was the thing structurally integrated with his face or jaw in such a way that to rip it off was to rip his face open? That seemed to be the case, but it all happened so fast, I wasn't quite sure what I was seeing, or what it meant.

3. And as long as we're on the subject, what's the deal with the bellows-like device he wears on his back? The implication is that he does not have full lung function, so it can't be his breathing that's expanding and contracting the bellows, right? Because his lungs wouldn't be strong enough. So, if that device is helping him breathe, what's powering it? Does his carapace include a batter and motor of some sort? And if so, could the presumed cell phone circuit board seen on his chest be more than merely decorative?
FlightSuit

Funny stuff from me:
http://kraptastrophe.blogspot.com/
flightsuit

Re: Questions about Joe's face mask (SPOILERS)

Postby TheWarriorMax » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:48 pm

flightsuit wrote:Two things:
2. What, exactly, happened when Furiosa ripped his face mask off? Was the thing structurally integrated with his face or jaw in such a way that to rip it off was to rip his face open? That seemed to be the case, but it all happened so fast, I wasn't quite sure what I was seeing, or what it meant.

There was a discussion that ended with someone saying they watched it again she put the hook right into his mouth:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11086&p=109187#p109029

flightsuit wrote:3. And as long as we're on the subject, what's the deal with the bellows-like device he wears on his back? The implication is that he does not have full lung function, so it can't be his breathing that's expanding and contracting the bellows, right? Because his lungs wouldn't be strong enough. So, if that device is helping him breathe, what's powering it? Does his carapace include a batter and motor of some sort? And if so, could the presumed cell phone circuit board seen on his chest be more than merely decorative?

I have also wondered about that bellows looking part that moves. I don't really have any explanation, but as you said it's an implication about his lungs not being strong enough, so we don't really know. It could just be that it provides him cleaner air, but yes it did seem to move in a kind of odd way.
TheWarriorMax

Postby flightsuit » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:26 pm

Thank you kindly. And yes, moderators, I will use the search function more from now on!
FlightSuit

Funny stuff from me:
http://kraptastrophe.blogspot.com/
flightsuit

Postby levcore » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:21 pm

In rewatching closely i assume that the mask has a hinge on the mouth so he can open it if he wishes. When Furiosa jams the hook in, it goes between the tweeth of the mask into his mouth, so the thing can clearly open with little difficulty. I think the open mouthed scream is actually happening but stylistically it does a lot too.
levcore

Return to Mad Max 4 - Fury Road