Pressure on sequels due to feminist angle?

Discuss the facts, the rumours, plot ideas, merchandising ideas, whatever...

Re: Pressure on sequels due to feminist angle?

Postby themanw/oaname » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:23 am

draknoir2 wrote:Looks like the next "Mad Max" movie isn't going to be much about Max either.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4575512/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_4

Good news for some...

imdb has had ghostbusters 3 on it for well over 15 years. dont take any of that to heart until it's confirmed by people actually involved.
themanw/oaname

Postby draknoir2 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:33 am

themanw/oaname wrote:
draknoir2 wrote:Looks like the next "Mad Max" movie isn't going to be much about Max either.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4575512/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_4

Good news for some...

imdb has had ghostbusters 3 on it for well over 15 years. dont take any of that to heart until it's confirmed by people actually involved.

I guess hope springs eternal.

To be honest the moment I heard Charlize Theron was cast I expected what I got - what felt like an uncomfortable spinoff episode. I was disappointed in that respect.
"Two days ago, I saw a vehicle that would haul that tanker. You want to get out of here? You talk to me."
draknoir2

Postby blackmocco » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:55 am

I'll place good money Theron won't be back for sequels/prequels/spin-offs. I think one road trip in the wasteland was enough for her.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."
blackmocco

Postby draknoir2 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:45 am

blackmocco wrote:I'll place good money Theron won't be back for sequels/prequels/spin-offs. I think one road trip in the wasteland was enough for her.

And don't get me wrong - it's not about the strength of her character or any of the feminist garbage it's generated. It's about making Max little more than a sidekick in a movie that bears his name. And I fully understand why it does - female hero[ine] spinoff character movies do not enjoy a great history of success. I feel like I got the bait and switch routine.

The movie was visually stunning and the action FX and stunts were brilliant. Can't complain there. CGI was reserved for the practically impossible stuff, which is as it should be. My other main complaint is that it was one continuous crescendo, and my son made the same observation. I needed to care about the characters more, and there weren't enough lulls in the action for that.

So what was the supposed feminist message behind the film - women drivers have a lousy sense of direction?

Just kidding. Keep your hate mail. :D
"Two days ago, I saw a vehicle that would haul that tanker. You want to get out of here? You talk to me."
draknoir2

Previous

Return to Mad Max 4 - Fury Road