Pressure on sequels due to feminist angle?

Discuss the facts, the rumours, plot ideas, merchandising ideas, whatever...

Re: Pressure on sequels due to feminist angle?

Postby themanw/oaname » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:55 am

Knightrider wrote:has anyone noticed that the men were also oppressed and abused, seems to me like the wasteland is an equal opportunity oppressor!


i've actually mentioned this point in "conversation" with radical feminists about this movie. they seem to miss the part about how the men were treated when the vulvalini mention them.
themanw/oaname
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:12 pm
Location: Flaw-duh

Re: Pressure on sequels due to feminist angle?

Postby DetritusMaximus » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:45 pm

seriz wrote:
DetritusMaximus wrote:I don't recall anyone dissecting Terminator or Aliens as 'feminist' because the female lead is just as strong a character as the male leads.


And yet there is a whole litterature only about that...
Hmm, I must have missed it all then. Probably because it just isn't an issue for me. I never really understood why a strong female character has to be set aside and examined while male characters aren't. Actually, that's not quite right. I do understand why women would be happy to talk about a good, strong female, but I don't understand supposed 'men' whinging about how they aren't the only ones that can be strong. Man up.
Road Worrier
DetritusMaximus
 
Posts: 785
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2003 5:57 pm

Re: Pressure on sequels due to feminist angle?

Postby seriz » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:29 pm

DetritusMaximus wrote:
seriz wrote:
DetritusMaximus wrote:I don't recall anyone dissecting Terminator or Aliens as 'feminist' because the female lead is just as strong a character as the male leads.


And yet there is a whole litterature only about that...
Hmm, I must have missed it all then. Probably because it just isn't an issue for me. I never really understood why a strong female character has to be set aside and examined while male characters aren't. Actually, that's not quite right. I do understand why women would be happy to talk about a good, strong female, but I don't understand supposed 'men' whinging about how they aren't the only ones that can be strong. Man up.


I didn't want to make any comment about this, and i'm agree with you, i just said it was largely dissected... It will be a very good evolution when it will be, like you said, not an issue !
User avatar
seriz
 
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:24 pm
Location: France

Re: Pressure on sequels due to feminist angle?

Postby lord humungus » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:03 am

I can see this is an explosive topic with many layers. I've read as many replies as I can stomach because the surrounding topics are ones that have had a serious effects of my life and the lives of loved ones and friends. but I think the topic is worth broaching,so that it can be squashed.

because here is my short answer. NO. I can see no evidence of it and Miller nor those around him strike me as anyone wanting to go into that territory because it's meaningless to a story where the world has gone mad. miller wouldn't compromise the story for such things and I don't think the studio would either.

A bit longer answer then I'll never honestly speak of this here again because honestly I don't think many of you here realize the amount of damage that the surrounding topics are producing because either some of you don't read up on this topic (pro or con or both),you don't care,or you care wayyy to fucking much. and I won't address anyone of these parties on this.

is mad max falling the feminism because furosia,the sequel was spoken of where a torch would be passed to what was being doubed "the female mad max". this ruffled the feathers of people who honestly care way too much that max is a man. Max is almost an Idea a concept if you will. Max doesn't have to be a man and honestly I liked the idea of a female mad max because it would interesting and in line with reality. for every woman who fails of out fire fighter training for not being able to pass the requirements. there are some (I know them personally) who can pass and pass with flying colors. these women are just as capable as their male counterparts and I am honored they are protecting my ass if a fire happens because they can meet the requirements of the job. it's stupid to think there could never be a female who is on some levels the same as max making it out there in the apocolyptic world.

the point is there is no reason to fear a female mad max even if the rumors were true and I have it on faith that it's likely that,despite saying it to the press,Miller does not yet have his sequel written. people I know who are close to or at least have worked with Miller and know how he works have said that no drafts of the sequel have yet been shown to his other writters which is odd for Miller cause if he had it done then he'd be pushing it to his writting staff to punch it up. this also came with a warning to not expect a sequel anytime soon miller is not likely to have something out fast. he has his method and that's all I can say because I've almost said too much as it is.

now the enchroachment of feminism into media we care about. No I won't speak about gamergate because that's a can of worms I doubt most of you would know much about and even fewer would care. what last year taught me is facts,no matter how scientific,don't matter when you bring modern day feminsim into the discussion. and while I support first and second wave feminism and it's historic gains for women I cannot,under the current wave call myself a male feminist any longer and it's not the MRA or any other bullshit like that which broke me. it was my own feminist friends who've lost their minds in ways that would make mad max blush. I don't care if you disagree with me and if anyone qoutes the dictonary I will qoute you promient feminist authors who contradict that deffinition through and through. this has been a battle I've been fighting over for 5 years now when feminism took a major nose dive due to splintering off into so many factions that to say your a feminist means nothing now because there is no one type of feminism and I have feminist websites to back this up but I won't do it here because I am sick of constantly trying to keep things like feminism honest. I could write a book on the issues facing what is now called feminism vs what feminism was and how it's hurting women almost more then it hurts men in it's current form. if you think me a monster. I don't care anymore. if you think me a rapist pedophile wife abuser and user of women despite the opposite being true and me being both an abuse and rape victim,knock yourself out. because it only matters if it's true but feminism revictimized me and many of my female friends in ways that I just can't over look. and for those few who care I am a humanist I care about and fight for all rights and I know people are sick of hearing that but I am sick of being told that I am not a humanist I am actually a feminist.

why it might matter to anyone why feminism might come to mad max. Thor. I never had an issue with others assuming the role of thor. but the new thor she didn't just get his powers she got his identity as well. something feminists would be furious about if the genders were reversed. to top it all off the comic spends wayy to much time building strawmen and berating the comic book audience in a way that I find distasteful. the stories,even without those side bars are just unreadable and if true modern day feminism came to mad max it wouldn't enhance the characters or the story. it would be a monument to an idea or concept of feminism that isn't actually practiced and it would destory what love I have for the series because the movie would be unwatchable. Thor is one example yes but it's not the only one I have seen with my own eyes and almost always it's wreched stories and does NOT live up the the principals of building women up nor empowering them. and is actually an insult to women because it's taking an existing property and trying to use it's built up fandom rather then building one yourself as others before you had to do. it's like saying that women aren't capable of making their own works and making them memorable or lasting or popular when I know that's not true about women,or anyone.

and before someone else says it (not that I am going to read replys because it's a waste of my time and I stand by what I say here so it's honestly not worth resaying the same things for me either you agree with me or you don't) I wouldn't at all be opposed to a feminist mad max one written,read and created for feminists,even modern day feminists. but as an artist myself and the son of a writter, I find it unfair to demand that artists ,like miller,change his story or anyone elses to suit certain proclivities of a lot of people these days. I'd honestly even give a feminist mad max an honest watch so long as they do the work themselves. Miller doesn't have to write the feminist mad max anymore then he has to write the black mad max or the asian mad max and so on. but there is nothing in the world NOTHING stoping any group from writting their own works and even making them popular by putting in the work themselves. but over all I believe there is room on the preverbial shelf for any and all games,movies,books and comics but I cannot agree with bullying artists and writers and comedians to change their media for these people. it's not right even if you fully believe in current wave feminism.

Miller won't write feminist mad max. he'll write the charaters and the stories that he knows best to do that inspire him. I wouldn't nor don't worry about it happening to mad max and if it happens well we always have our old movies to fall back on. it would be a pitty if it happened but I don't care. I love mad max with every fiber of my being. I've spent 10 years making models of mad max and watch the movies religiously, but I don't care nor panic that the feminist will preassure there to be a feminist mad max. and that's all I care to say about this.
lord humungus
 
Posts: 521
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:46 am

Re: Pressure on sequels due to feminist angle?

Postby Mad Max RW » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:33 pm

Please leave the new age feminist liberal progressive politically correct crybaby bullshit at reddit where it belongs. The moderators there are working hard to make sure you have a safe area to hide from being "triggered" by those who don't march in lock step with your narrow minded vision of the world where everything and anything is an outrage.
User avatar
Mad Max RW
 
Posts: 492
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:01 pm

Re: Pressure on sequels due to feminist angle?

Postby seriz » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:55 pm

Your comment is useless...

Shout "feminist" and watch all the dumbs coming out of the woods...
User avatar
seriz
 
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:24 pm
Location: France

Re: Pressure on sequels due to feminist angle?

Postby LicensedMotorCarTraderNo.1927 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:07 pm

if there is a feminist element in Mad Max because of Furiosa, well then it has always been present, May Swazee held off the entire toecutter gang with a shotgun, warrior women was the toughest person in the whole northern tribe, and Aunty Entity was the ruler of Bartertown, so why is Furiosa kicking butt anything new?

if I took any message at all regarding this, it was that society was bad under a male dictator, but life alone with no men in the dessert wasnt working out too well for the old ladies, and when the men and women worked together as equals things were better, not pro or anti man or woman, but PRO human.
I can sell you a set of 'lops for next to nothing.
LicensedMotorCarTraderNo.1927
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:46 pm

Re: Pressure on sequels due to feminist angle?

Postby MachRider » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:00 am

LicensedMotorCarTraderNo.1927 wrote:if I took any message at all regarding this, it was that society was bad under a male dictator, but life alone with no men in the dessert wasnt working out too well for the old ladies, and when the men and women worked together as equals things were better, not pro or anti man or woman, but PRO human.


Exactly. Every ideology-driven idea in Mad max films was destined to fail until Max showed up and put everything back on its track.

Escape the compound, get to Sidney, escape from Joe. All essentially doomed undertakings. But then this supposedly mad guy shows up, acts as a shrink to the world around him, makes sacrifice and everyone lives happily ever after.
MM movies could as well be labeled as christian propaganda as they have this lone saintly guy going around fixing things, very much st. Francis-like. LOL imagine if it was still starring Mel.... the passion of Max meets Thelma & Louise.

Anyway, it was always pro humanity and contra ideology. It's ideology that Kills The World in the first place.
MachRider
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:44 pm
Location: Mediterranean salt plains

Re: Pressure on sequels due to feminist angle?

Postby Turbofurball » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:35 pm

I guess some people are upset by change, and having a bunch of women show up in the Mad Max world unexpectedly and say "this is a great film for us, too!" counts as change, lol ... I've read plenty of things like Lord Humungus' one above "I'm all for feminism but these women are getting far too uppity!" :roll: there's still plenty of entirely male-dominated fiction to go around.

Personally I'm still enjoying the hell outta the fact that my 30 years of love for the series finally feels like it's including people like me on the screen :D I don't need anything to be "forced" on future movies (part of what has made Fury Road so good is that external forces weren't forced on it creatively).
Whoever they send here, we're gonna catch 'em, we're gonna cook 'em, and we're gonna eat 'em!
User avatar
Turbofurball
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Sat May 16, 2015 5:05 am

Re: Pressure on sequels due to feminist angle?

Postby DetritusMaximus » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:29 am

It's funny you should use the word 'change' because as far as I can recall women have been around for dang near forever! I keep finding them no matter how far back in history I look.

The issue at hand isn't progress (not really) or change, but exclusion. Some guys are upset because female characters are not being excluded and they are not weak, passive plot devices for the villain to use as leverage over the hero. As an example, how many times in movies has the hero said to a female companion (or a child, for that matter), "Stay here! I'll be back." and they don't, they wander off and get captured and then used against the hero? Tedious and tiresome. Fifth Element was fun because Korben Dallas unwittingly kept trying to protect someone far more powerful than himself, although in the end, he did save her.

Back when I first saw Mad Max I was so disappointed that May S. missed ALL of the bikers with that shotgun. She was a great feisty old lady and should have taken at least one down. Even the gang realized they should not push her too far back at the house.
Road Worrier
DetritusMaximus
 
Posts: 785
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2003 5:57 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Mad Max 4 - Fury Road

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1 guest