Pressure on sequels due to feminist angle?

Discuss the facts, the rumours, plot ideas, merchandising ideas, whatever...

Pressure on sequels due to feminist angle?

Postby TheWarriorMax » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:17 pm

People must have raised this concern but I don't recall seeing it here. Anyone worry about that? I can't be the only one, or can I? :)

Would Miller or his replacement/writers/whomever feel pressure to match or exceed the level of it? Would the studios, PR people, etc. put pressure on? Might the feminist angle reviewers hammer it if they don't, or at least call it a letdown?

I can't recall the specifics now but they already have a movie with Furiosa kinda written or planned out or something like that, correct? One thing I have seen a few people around here say, they don't want more Furiosa, they want something like the old movies where a lone Max wanders into his next situation, or possibly a prequel of a similar nature. I'm in that camp.

Given how much they were applauded for all this in Fury Road, do you think a sequel or prequel would be pressured into including Furiosa? Or maybe a similar character that again could be argued to be the true lead character over Max?
TheWarriorMax

Re: Pressure on sequels due to feminist angle?

Postby Taipan » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:39 pm

What feminist angle?

People who can't stop yapping about feminism online these days are driving me nuts, it was the same with atheism a few years ago until everyone got sick of it.
Money speaks. If FR makes enough, there will be a sequel. The stories are already written and people complaining about Max 'manspreading' in his car don't have any say in this matter.
At last the Vermin had inherited the Earth
Taipan

Postby TheWarriorMax » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:56 pm

Taipan wrote:What feminist angle?

People who can't stop yapping about feminism online these days are driving me nuts, it was the same with atheism a few years ago until everyone got sick of it.
Money speaks. If FR makes enough, there will be a sequel. The stories are already written and people complaining about Max 'manspreading' in his car don't have any say in this matter.

Sorry I don't understand the "manspreading" thing at all :).

What I meant was, since Fury Road was so applauded for having positive female themes, will it put pressure on future Mad Max movies to continue with that at the same or even higher levels regardless of what may already be "written"? Perhaps another way to say it, could it compromise Miller's/whomever's existing or future ideas for any new movies?

Also in the other direction, if a new Mad Max movie doesn't continue those themes or does but to a lesser extent, will it get criticized for that, be called a letdown, etc.?

Side note, making fun of religion is still pretty popular online :), but yeah everyone has heard it now and it's not cool as it used to be.
TheWarriorMax

Postby roadwarriormfp » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:09 am

So you have forgotten about the movie called "Furiosa"? Which was supposed to filmed back to back originally with Fury Road.
We are 100% snafu....
roadwarriormfp

Postby Artemis Flow » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:12 am

Yep all the feminazi MRA crap has just been blogger click bait , if Miller had only cast a token female here and there all the pro feminist sites would have been up in arms for lack of representation :lol:
I actually think he purposely cast a lot of females in the movie to draw a wider audience because females represent 51% of the population and the Mad Max movies have always been mainly a guys movie.
I like to read peoples responses to the movie and the amount of females who actually say they love the movie and have seen it multiple times is very cool indeed.
This movie has it all , nonstop car action for the boys and cool chicks for the girls , this thing has legs and has been cleverly crafted - genius Dr Miller is no understatement 8-)
* New site Fury Road Vehicles - http://furyroadvehicles.blogspot.com.au/
*Sydney Fury Road Stunt show - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N929gjLLzkk
*Hitler reacts to Mad Max Fury Road - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-_km-xssIA
Artemis Flow

Postby Turbofurball » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:05 pm

I don't think there's any pressure, there just needs to be a mindfulness of having a fair number of interesting female characters (the previous 3 had women who were proper three-dimensional characters, they were just sparse on the ground is all). You don't have to have another woman front-and-centre. I waited all my life for Furiosa, and diluting that would take away from the feeling I just got tonight from watching Fury Road for a 4th time.

Given the subtexts of overthrowing oppression in Fury Road I think there will need to be a different theme of some sort, and thats what will make it an interesting and worthwhile film.

I do think that Furiosa, the wives, and the surviving Vuvalini, could have a very interesting and exciting story of their own, but I also feel that including Max in that, at least right away, would feel like a stretch and not in Miller's style at all.
Whoever they send here, we're gonna catch 'em, we're gonna cook 'em, and we're gonna eat 'em!
Turbofurball

Postby TheWarriorMax » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:10 pm

roadwarriormfp wrote:So you have forgotten about the movie called "Furiosa"? Which was supposed to filmed back to back originally with Fury Road.

No I mentioned that in the first post, I heard about it.
TheWarriorMax

Postby DetritusMaximus » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:37 pm

So if writing a story about women fleeing from male oppression (not exactly an unheard of thing in history....just look at Nigeria right now) is evidence of a feminist agenda, then making a concerted effort to exclude strong women not codependent on a male would give it a chauvinist agenda, would it not?

I don't recall anyone dissecting Terminator or Aliens as 'feminist' because the female lead is just as strong a character as the male leads.
Road Worrier
DetritusMaximus

Postby Turbofurball » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:01 am

DetritusMaximus wrote:So if writing a story about women fleeing from male oppression (not exactly an unheard of thing in history....just look at Nigeria right now) is evidence of a feminist agenda, then making a concerted effort to exclude strong women not codependent on a male would give it a chauvinist agenda, would it not?

I don't recall anyone dissecting Terminator or Aliens as 'feminist' because the female lead is just as strong a character as the male leads.

T2 and Aliens have both been thoroughly documented as films with some feminist themes.

"Chauvinist agenda" is just the default, so doesn't get a name at the moment, just look at the number of films that fail the Bechdel test.
Whoever they send here, we're gonna catch 'em, we're gonna cook 'em, and we're gonna eat 'em!
Turbofurball

Postby MWFV8 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:30 am

Taipan wrote:What feminist angle?

Artemis Flow wrote:Yep all the feminazi MRA crap has just been blogger click bait , if Miller had only cast a token female here and there all the pro feminist sites would have been up in arms for lack of representation :lol:
I actually think he purposely cast a lot of females in the movie to draw a wider audience because females represent 51% of the population and the Mad Max movies have always been mainly a guys movie.
I like to read peoples responses to the movie and the amount of females who actually say they love the movie and have seen it multiple times is very cool indeed.
This movie has it all , nonstop car action for the boys and cool chicks for the girls , this thing has legs and has been cleverly crafted - genius Dr Miller is no understatement 8-)

DetritusMaximus wrote:So if writing a story about women fleeing from male oppression (not exactly an unheard of thing in history....just look at Nigeria right now) is evidence of a feminist agenda, then making a concerted effort to exclude strong women not codependent on a male would give it a chauvinist agenda, would it not?

Wow... just... wow.

Feeling pretty ashamed to be part of this community right now.
"Wrong, we fight for a belief. I stay."
MWFV8

Next

Return to Mad Max 4 - Fury Road