The end of Fury Road - Spoilers

Discuss the facts, the rumours, plot ideas, merchandising ideas, whatever...

The end of Fury Road - Spoilers

Postby Mad Serge » Wed May 27, 2015 12:27 pm

After they defeated Immortan Joe, Furiosa is their new leader. But is that really a good thing ? How are things going to get better ? We see them take more people into the citadel (which means more "democracy"). But the oil, the water, etc are not unlimited resources ! Furiosa will need to use her power (to kill people outside and inside the citadel who are threatening this society). What I mean is, sure Immortan Joe was a tyran but everyone in the citadel could live (as you could see in the comics). Now if you let enter more people, then the citadel will be in danger. What will do the war boys ? Ironically Furiosa may be even worse than Immortan Joe ! The end of the film doesn't resolve anything if you think about it (except that the "good guys" killed Immortan Joe and others). In a realistic perspective it will not be all sunshine and rainbows. What do you think about it ? Compare to the end (much more realistic) of Mad Max 2. It is not implied that they will live in a "better" society, just that they are escaping the people of Humungus who are threatening them.
Mad Serge

Re: The end of Fury Road - Spoilers

Postby P-Tron » Wed May 27, 2015 2:18 pm

I would disagree with your analysis that nothing was resolved. The main aim was to escape the tyranny of Immortan Joe, which they did.
And the people of the citadel were obviously pretty have Joe was dead.

Any new government will always face changes and struggles but not letting people starve is always a good first step
P-Tron

Postby MachRider » Wed May 27, 2015 2:31 pm

Few years ago I stumbled upon an interesting theory on WHY and WHEN do revolutions really happen (in real life).

Contrary to perhaps the obvious answer "When oppressed cannot stand the oppression anymore" this article asserted that tyrants get overthrown when they aren't tyrannical enough anymore. It's only when they show weakness that people start rebelling against them.

The revolutions aren't quick affairs either. First wave is the most obvious, but ripples linger on for decades, or even centuries. The French revolution started in 1789 but the vicious circle that was started with it was ended (hopefully) at the end of WW2. It has thrown the balance of European powers so off scale that it took 150 years to get some sort of balance back on.

And the process of Russian revolution of 1917 is still going on and shows no signs of ending any time soon.

And both of those are just part of the revolutionary process of decaying Roman Empire. Now we're talking about millennia here. :)

So in that regard, yes, if Fury Road follows the realistic pattern, Furiosa is pretty much fvcked up in the Citadel. In best case, she's in the same position as Aunty Entity is at the start of MMBTD. In worst case, nothing works for her, she starts accusing others of stuff and ends up like Joe 2.0.
It's hard to believe that just shifting one generation of power would change anything, let alone bring prosperity. But it is a step in a general direction.
MachRider

Postby seriz » Wed May 27, 2015 2:42 pm

It's a mistake to think that when you have torn apart the body of your oppressor, a new and happy life will begin... Let's take a look at the situation in Lybia, Irak... The end of the movie is a little bit short for me. Because we see the people of the Citadel all behind Furiosa, the milking mothers open the stuff for the water and it looks like everything's solve and happy end !
For me this kind of situation means war. All the clans are going to try to take advantage, you cannot live in harmony with hordes of people like that, Gastown, Bulletfarmer, like Machrider said, they just open the gates of chaos ! If you want to build an egalitarian society... you have to work hard, and prepare everything very well, and the tyranny has to disappear because it become useless. If you kill the tyrant, you just motivate all the bastards childs who are going to claim for power. The people in the Citadel, they are going to let their privileges and share with the poeple downstairs ? No way ! Furiosa must take the power and be strong the same way Immortan Joe was. So... This end let so many problems unsolved. Or create so many problems in fact.
Or you just accept this "hollywood happy ending"... Everybody is happy, the dictator is dead, end of story...
seriz

Postby scfc68 » Wed May 27, 2015 2:52 pm

Well, it certainly didn't look like things could get worse with Joe gone!

After 5 years of the (extermina)tories with another 5 to come, it's beginning to feel like The Citadel in the UK :D
scfc68

Postby Cult Icon » Wed May 27, 2015 8:40 pm

I think many here have analyzed this movie much more than I have; to me it's just an open-ended ending, very loose. There aren't any conclusions to draw from the prior 2 hours outside the knowledge that the 3 tyrants are dead and now only Furiosa is left. Max is gone. That's it.

The future is uncertain.

Not sure but I have heard of prequels instead of sequels coming up.
Cult Icon

Postby MachRider » Thu May 28, 2015 4:49 am

scfc68 wrote:After 5 years of the (extermina)tories with another 5 to come, it's beginning to feel like The Citadel in the UK :D

Another thing about tyranny is the point of view.
EU is probably the most egalitarian structure mankind has ever created - and yet, if you're an african refugee adrift in a leaking fishing boat somewhere in Mediterranean, the whole EU seems like The Citadel, doesn't it.

Oh no refugees, we don't want your bodies, just your diamonds, your oil and rare earth minerals. And some locations to film BBC/NatGeo documentaries. Mediocre refugee, mediocre! :evil:
And don't you dare bring your wretched ebola near our airports. Here's some cure-cola but don't get too addicted to it or you'll be sorry when it's gone.

Basically, Hugh said it best himself in this interview, from both our own perspective as a society, and Immortan's view on Furiosa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dcg-heNwXc
MachRider

Postby levcore » Thu May 28, 2015 5:00 am

It kind of reminded me of the ending of Elysium but just MUCH MUCH better. Elysium is far worse at this as it suggests everything is sunshine and rainbows when it's a ridiculous idea considering the state the world is in. At least in Fury Road i didn't get the sense that it was saying everything is fine, just that a new era for The Citadel is about to begin, and the odds are it will be an improvement on how things were.
levcore

Postby Mad Serge » Sun May 31, 2015 9:24 am

MachRider wrote:Few years ago I stumbled upon an interesting theory on WHY and WHEN do revolutions really happen (in real life).

Contrary to perhaps the obvious answer "When oppressed cannot stand the oppression anymore" this article asserted that tyrants get overthrown when they aren't tyrannical enough anymore. It's only when they show weakness that people start rebelling against them.

The revolutions aren't quick affairs either. First wave is the most obvious, but ripples linger on for decades, or even centuries. The French revolution started in 1789 but the vicious circle that was started with it was ended (hopefully) at the end of WW2. It has thrown the balance of European powers so off scale that it took 150 years to get some sort of balance back on.

And the process of Russian revolution of 1917 is still going on and shows no signs of ending any time soon.

And both of those are just part of the revolutionary process of decaying Roman Empire. Now we're talking about millennia here. :)

So in that regard, yes, if Fury Road follows the realistic pattern, Furiosa is pretty much fvcked up in the Citadel. In best case, she's in the same position as Aunty Entity is at the start of MMBTD. In worst case, nothing works for her, she starts accusing others of stuff and ends up like Joe 2.0.
It's hard to believe that just shifting one generation of power would change anything, let alone bring prosperity. But it is a step in a general direction.

Yes, it's Pareto's theory of the circulation of the elites.

To all of you : I'm asking this question because I have the feeling that at the end it really IS suppose to be a good thing (I mean, in Miller's mind). Remember in the film, Furiosa and Max they talk about "redemption" (pretty cheesy). I Also read the comic about Joe's story. Maybe it's just be me or : Immortan Joe doesn't seem to be depicted as cruel or abusive (well, he sure raped the women but again, it's far worse outside the citadel). Furthermore, he seems to care about his men (they have almost everything they want). The War-boys also found a meaning in their life (with the myths about death and everything). I don't really get the feeling that "Immortan Joe" is the devil (unlike Humungus who doesn't seem to care about building something). Do you understand what I mean (sorry for my bad english) ?
Mad Serge

Postby Mad Max RW » Sun May 31, 2015 11:01 am

If the Fury Road world is anything like the real world the Citadel will eventually fall into anarchy with a much more brutal and evil group showing up to claim it as their own. I don't see these dying and desperate people suddenly embracing democracy or some other ideology. They relied on a dictator like Joe to survive. The world isn't all rainbows and unicorns and we lived happily ever after. Max had the right idea disappearing into the background.
"You wanna get out of here....you talk to me."
Mad Max RW

Return to Mad Max 4 - Fury Road