It's About Earth

Discuss the facts, the rumours, plot ideas, merchandising ideas, whatever...

It's About Earth

Postby MWFV8 » Wed May 27, 2015 4:04 am

Furiosa lives in a word where the sick are left to die, the hungry are left to starve, and a whole sex are exploited for their genetics. Tyrants control an abundance of resources and, by making themselves idols, manipulate the population into believing they are helping when in fact they are controlling. By creating a new religion they have built themselves an army ready to die to protect the very despots who abuse them. Furiousa knows she's part of the problem, not just watching this happen, but participating in it. She dreams of an eden where everything is perfect.

She takes a vehicle, a piece of military hardware, long and cylindrical in shape, complete with an ancillary tank, and takes off into the unknown. She battles through epic electric storms through nothingness with the belief that an old memory, a lasting dream, has to be true, because it's always been true in her head.

But she faces a soul destroying reality. There is nothing, absolutely nothing within her reach. And she realises something. That horrid place she's come from, where she sees nothing but pain, is actually an oasis, and it desperately needs protecting because it maybe everything the world now has to offer. So she returns to make it a better place.

We've spent most of human history believing, fantasising, that our planet can be squandered, because there's always been this promise in our minds that we'll have expanded our horizons into the universe, where we'll get to live in paradise. And because it's paradise the human condition can never taint it, there will be no evil in minds or hate in our hearts because surely these horrible things cannot exist in a place that's beautiful. We've continued to consume resources while knowing they're damaging the very air we breathe, we've wasted water knowing there's nowhere near enough to go around, we've turned a blind eye to sections of society being abused in the name of tradition, and we've sat back and watched wars fought in our name, to satisfy the one percent who live like kings, tear country after country apart.

And now our reality is setting in. The storms are coming in stronger every year in the form of drought, tornado, hurricane, flood, and snowstorm. The temperature is climbing. The water we took for granted is now being controlled. The wars we watched on TV are now coming to our doorstep. And there is nowhere we can go. Our spaceships can barely make it to our own moon, Mars is a dream and little more than a desert. There is no escape to somewhere perfect. This tiny rock in an infinite expanse of nothing is our precious little eden, and we are abusing it. The world really does belong to the mad, and Max has known it for far too long.
"Wrong, we fight for a belief. I stay."
MWFV8

Re: It's About Earth

Postby Uncle Entity » Wed May 27, 2015 4:09 am

Best post I've ever read about this movie/masterpiece.

Thank you so much, man.
Mel Gibson's Max to Tom Hardy's Max: "give me my life back, interdimensional counterpart!"
Uncle Entity

Postby scfc68 » Wed May 27, 2015 3:05 pm

MWFV8 wrote:Furiosa lives in a word where the sick are left to die, the hungry are left to starve, and a whole sex are exploited for their genetics. Tyrants control an abundance of resources and, by making themselves idols, manipulate the population into believing they are helping when in fact they are controlling. By creating a new religion they have built themselves an army ready to die to protect the very despots who abuse them. Furiousa knows she's part of the problem, not just watching this happen, but participating in it. She dreams of an eden where everything is perfect.

She takes a vehicle, a piece of military hardware, long and cylindrical in shape, complete with an ancillary tank, and takes off into the unknown. She battles through epic electric storms through nothingness with the belief that an old memory, a lasting dream, has to be true, because it's always been true in her head.

But she faces a soul destroying reality. There is nothing, absolutely nothing within her reach. And she realises something. That horrid place she's come from, where she sees nothing but pain, is actually an oasis, and it desperately needs protecting because it maybe everything the world now has to offer. So she returns to make it a better place.

We've spent most of human history believing, fantasising, that our planet can be squandered, because there's always been this promise in our minds that we'll have expanded our horizons into the universe, where we'll get to live in paradise. And because it's paradise the human condition can never taint it, there will be no evil in minds or hate in our hearts because surely these horrible things cannot exist in a place that's beautiful. We've continued to consume resources while knowing they're damaging the very air we breathe, we've wasted water knowing there's nowhere near enough to go around, we've turned a blind eye to sections of society being abused in the name of tradition, and we've sat back and watched wars fought in our name, to satisfy the one percent who live like kings, tear country after country apart.

And now our reality is setting in. The storms are coming in stronger every year in the form of drought, tornado, hurricane, flood, and snowstorm. The temperature is climbing. The water we took for granted is now being controlled. The wars we watched on TV are now coming to our doorstep. And there is nowhere we can go. Our spaceships can barely make it to our own moon, Mars is a dream and little more than a desert. There is no escape to somewhere perfect. This tiny rock in an infinite expanse of nothing is our precious little eden, and we are abusing it. The world really does belong to the mad, and Max has known it for far too long.

Totally agree, as a species we deserve it, individually we don't. Only in a world this shitty would we accept its ok to kill children in drone strikes & accept it as a reasonable price while fat cat tyrants like David Rockefeller prepare to turn 100!! People Eater anyone??

Yeah, what happened to those dreams of space back in the 70s, not got any further than the moon, no prospect of Mars either, the space stations envisaged of happiness and health will never happen. Basically we're fucked!

Its a different film but it covers this subject, what did folk here make of Interstellar?? I've got it on my Sky Box but haven't yet braced myself for the length of it :) People seem to either REALLY like it or REALLY not like it?
scfc68

Postby MWFV8 » Thu May 28, 2015 3:16 am

Thanks for the responses :)

I do feel a lot of guilt as an individual but then I also feel disenfranchised.

I've not seen Interstellar yet. I don't rate Nolan stuff that highly in term of theme, I find his stuff messy and mainly done for cinematic effect. I do certainly enjoy watching his movies though.

I feel the choice to show this in Max is hugely significant. It's very hard choice to remove hope from a movie like this. RoadWarrior ended with the compound dwellers becoming the Great Northern Tribe and finding a safe place in the sun, Thunderdome ended with Savannah leading the Crack In The Earth children in what's left of Sydney. While none of this was perfection, it was a suggestion of something more habitable beyond the horizon.

Of course that doesn't mean the Fury Road world is completely desolate, they do need to make sequels after all. But I hope the understanding of the theme goes someway to explaining away what may seem like a shallow and contrived plot.
"Wrong, we fight for a belief. I stay."
MWFV8

Postby MachRider » Thu May 28, 2015 5:36 am

MWFV8 wrote:
I feel the choice to show this in Max is hugely significant. It's very hard choice to remove hope from a movie like this. RoadWarrior ended with the compound dwellers becoming the Great Northern Tribe and finding a safe place in the sun, Thunderdome ended with Savannah leading the Crack In The Earth children in what's left of Sydney. While none of this was perfection, it was a suggestion of something more habitable beyond the horizon.

Of course that doesn't mean the Fury Road world is completely desolate, they do need to make sequels after all. But I hope the understanding of the theme goes someway to explaining away what may seem like a shallow and contrived plot.

Yes, both RoadWarrior and Thunderdome had "happy endings", with cool hero left on his own, the Searchers style.
Fury Road on the other hand is very bleak in perspective - the thing that got me the most was the mention of dying earth, soil going sour, nothing but salt. That's some depressing stuff that belongs more in The Road, rather than Fury Road. :|

I mean, you can dispose of all the dictators there are, but how can you fix dying planet?

On more positive note, I believe bleakness in Fury Road has more to do with author's own view on life rather than future of our entire society. I imagine at 70 you view the world through different glasses than when you're 30 or 40.
For all that is worth, world today in general is a better place than it was in 1985. It's just news channels that got worse.

We can spit on filthy capitalism all we want, and I'll be the first to do it, but what history has taught us is when one gets taste of capitalism and materialism, his or hers desires for destruction are LOWERED. You can't accumulate wealth if you constantly destroy stuff.
And materialism requires constant growth - sooner than later we'll need to work WITH the planet instead AGAINST it to provide that growth. Soon enough, we'll need interstellar travel to provide growth. We don't need it yet, so we don't have it.

So maybe no Star Trek future any time soon for mankind, but Alien or Avatar seems quite likely. In other words, 200 years from now it'll be business as usual.
MachRider

Postby levcore » Thu May 28, 2015 9:35 am

I agree completely with the OP, excellent post. I think Elysium also covered this ground but was far more heavy handed with its message, and thus less successful in getting it across.
levcore

Return to Mad Max 4 - Fury Road