Original Trilogy Timeline & Fury Road

Discuss the facts, the rumours, plot ideas, merchandising ideas, whatever...

Re: Original Trilogy Timeline & Fury Road

Postby Taipan » Tue May 26, 2015 6:15 am

seriz wrote:IMHO, the best thing, if you want to connect by force everything, is the "James Bond" idea, like Kennedy said years ago. It's stories told by people, people who met a road warrior named Max.

Yep, the Rashomon effect is a full proof way of explaining all inconsistencies and Miller makes it pretty damn important to include that device in all of Mad Max movies (except the first one). This time around with The History Men.
At last the Vermin had inherited the Earth
Taipan

Postby MWFV8 » Tue May 26, 2015 6:44 am

Taipan wrote:Oooh boy, what have I done. I'm going to be accused of going off the deep end any minute now.

Gotta clarify. Guys, I'm just entertaining this idea, don't take it too seriously because I sure am not ('tin foil hat' comments). It doesn't change the fact Fury Road is a reboot. Miller said so. But he also put Roop and Charlie in the prequel comic. Why? Because Miller that's why. :lol:
Let me just remind you that a lot of things make sense in the Mad Max universe and its continuity. But then again... Gyrocaptain/Jedediah. For the hell of it.

3352423.jpg

Alright, carry on :)

Hey buddy, we've all know you long enough to know you're a rational guy. It's hard not to let your mind wander into this stuff, plus we're puzzle loving animals and it's kinda fun to piece the answer together from all these little riddles. And you may be onto something. I just wonder if it's worth all the expense of energy debating it - we're not valued by people like Miller. Perhaps we should be reaching out to those more minor people out there to talk about the relatively smaller stuff. Having members like Furyroadcars here is such a privilege because, personally, those tidbits about putting the production together is infinitely more interesting than the ad-libbing of some make believe world. And look how cool some of the cast have been like Nathan Jones respecting the fan base, those are the people who deserve our attention.
"Wrong, we fight for a belief. I stay."
MWFV8

Postby Uncle Entity » Tue May 26, 2015 10:27 am

Taipan wrote:
seriz wrote:IMHO, the best thing, if you want to connect by force everything, is the "James Bond" idea, like Kennedy said years ago. It's stories told by people, people who met a road warrior named Max.

Yep, the Rashomon effect is a full proof way of explaining all inconsistencies and Miller makes it pretty damn important to include that device in all of Mad Max movies (except the first one). This time around with The History Men.

Taipan.
We love you.
You're our first History Man. :lol:
Mel Gibson's Max to Tom Hardy's Max: "give me my life back, interdimensional counterpart!"
Uncle Entity

Postby DGSimo » Tue May 26, 2015 11:57 am

Taipan wrote: was pretty much known that Fury Road was conceived as a sequel to Beyond Thunderdome when Mel was in it, but I thought that idea was abandoned when they swapped the actor. When I said that Fury Road IMO fits between RW and MMBT is simply because of the jacket he lost in MMBT. Unless he went back god knows how far to get it back. Max's age would check out too.

Yeah but it seems like thats what they stuck with though. Max's actor may of changed but everything else remained the same. Like Miller said years ago, they weren't rebooting Max but reimagining the wasteland around him and bringing him up to speed by 30 years.

I'd be happy if Fury Road was a reboot, hell I've been saying it was for years too, but given the film now with Max's narration coupled with the information from the art book, comics and video game that now doesn't seem to be the case. lol
DGSimo

Postby Taipan » Tue May 26, 2015 12:48 pm

DGSimo wrote:
Taipan wrote: was pretty much known that Fury Road was conceived as a sequel to Beyond Thunderdome when Mel was in it, but I thought that idea was abandoned when they swapped the actor. When I said that Fury Road IMO fits between RW and MMBT is simply because of the jacket he lost in MMBT. Unless he went back god knows how far to get it back. Max's age would check out too.

Yeah but it seems like thats what they stuck with though. Max's actor may of changed but everything else remained the same. Like Miller said years ago, they weren't rebooting Max but reimagining the wasteland around him and bringing him up to speed by 30 years.

I'd be happy if Fury Road was a reboot, hell I've been saying it was for years too, but given the film now with Max's narration coupled with the information from the art book, comics and video game that now doesn't seem to be the case. lol

I'll just quote Miller from one of the interviews which sums up perfectly his take on Fury Road regarding its place in the timeline:

George Miller wrote:"This film, in my mind is after Thunderdome. But the chronology doesn't quite work"

There, done. That's exactly what you said Simo. It stops being a sequel to Thunderdome if you do two things - set it 45 years after 'now' and swap out the main actor. Revert the changes and there's your sequel to Thunderdome. Is it really too far fetched to think so?
At last the Vermin had inherited the Earth
Taipan

Postby Uncle Entity » Tue May 26, 2015 1:18 pm

This doesn't change the fact that: "Fury Road" is a new Mad Max universe.
Mel Gibson's Max to Tom Hardy's Max: "give me my life back, interdimensional counterpart!"
Uncle Entity

Postby Knightrider » Tue May 26, 2015 4:11 pm

people are caught up in terminology, reboot means to start over, this is not a reboot, I think this is more like a running change. An upgrade. Like the Klingons in Star Trek, they were originally very human looking, when the Movies came out and had more money they made them look better but this was not to invalidate all the stories from the TV show, they still happened. I am not into Star Trek but the comparison is still valid.
Step right up, chum, and watch the kid lay down the rubber road, ride to freedom!
Knightrider

Postby Nightwalker » Tue May 26, 2015 4:25 pm

@ nightrider:
No. Fury Road is clearly a reboot. A completely new start from a certain point in this storyline.
I know what you mean with the Klingons being very human. In the original series they where very human like. But that was at a time the 'star trek franchise' just started and didn't knew what sort of impact it would have on the viewers. A bit later they developed the Klingon race further to the creatures we know now. And for your knowledge, the Klingon language is developed by the actor who plays a character who hates the Klingons most. Scotty :D
"UNDERSTEER" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"OVERSTEER" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"HORSEPOWER" is how fast you hit the fence.
"TORQUE" is how far you take the fence with you.
Nightwalker

Postby Knightrider » Tue May 26, 2015 4:44 pm

clearly it isnt

clear I mean

hence this discussion about things not being clear
Step right up, chum, and watch the kid lay down the rubber road, ride to freedom!
Knightrider

Postby Uncle Entity » Wed May 27, 2015 3:35 am

Sequel: a new chapter which follows Mad Max/Road Warrior/Thunderdome without contradicting them. Max is 60 years old, he gets the white streaks in his hair as always, there's no Interceptor, he has no PTSD, the world has evolved from the Thunderdome phase into something more sophisticated but coherent with the previous entry.

Remake: a movie remaking Mad Max or Road Warrior or Thunderdome.

Reboot: a new continuity starting with the beginning of the story: Max as cop in a pre-apocalypse world or a world gradually collapsing. Not necessarely a Mad Max 1 remake.

REIMAGINING: FURY ROAD. A new continuity featuring a new Max, where the Wasteland has been "reimagined" and the Max character is somewhat different.
Uncle Entity

PreviousNext

Return to Mad Max 4 - Fury Road