Original Trilogy Timeline & Fury Road

Discuss the facts, the rumours, plot ideas, merchandising ideas, whatever...

Original Trilogy Timeline & Fury Road

Postby Taipan » Mon May 25, 2015 11:24 am

Yeah I know, I'm beating a dead horse, FR is a reboot, it doesn't fit in. At least from what we know at this moment because:

Some bits of information are starting to pop up that make me think this movie could be a part of the original trilogy's timeline. Maybe I'm connecting all the wrong dots, maybe it was discussed somewhere else before (I'm pretty sure it was, but I can't be arsed to find a thread with that discussion), but hear me out:

1. Roop & Charlie in the first prequel comic book. Could be a nod to the originals, could be that they are indirectly responsible for Immortan Joe's rise to power (by letting the fat guy aka "The People Eater" escape and he let Joe Moore know where the aquifer is).

2. Glory the child. According to the synopsis of the final prequel comic book explaining Max's backstory, Glory, the kid that shows up in his flashbacks isn't his daughter at all (she calls him 'papa' in his flashbacks for whatever reason but she's a daughter of a woman named Hope or something like that). Max failed to save her when he went into the Buzzards territory to get his car back and it's haunting him now. SOURCE

Take those two pieces of information for what they are and you can start putting Fury Road into the original timeline. BUT, there's a giant gaping plot hole called The Interceptor. He lost it in the RW. I have no freaking clue how he'd get a new one. But if he got it and lost it a couple of times (in the prequel comic book & in the game) it at least explains why it would look so different after all those adventures.

I get a feeling that the FR fits somewhere between RW and Thunderdome. The oceans are gone in Thunderdome too (or at least the Sydney harbor is dry), it looks like they're gone in FR too "nothing but salt".

I might be missing some things, I might be digging in too deep and you'd probably be right, but if those things I mentioned up there check out then it sort of makes sense to put Fury Road in the original timeline somewhere. Except for this little fact that he's got his Interceptor again. And unless my tin-foil hat made me miss something really obvious that wrecks this theory with a single fact.
At last the Vermin had inherited the Earth
User avatar
Taipan
 
Posts: 1472
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:14 am
Location: The Wasteland

Re: Original Trilogy Timeline & Fury Road

Postby Stamper » Mon May 25, 2015 12:45 pm

The Interceptor thing will be explained in the game
Stamper
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:04 am

Re: Original Trilogy Timeline & Fury Road

Postby Taipan » Mon May 25, 2015 12:48 pm

Stamper wrote:The Interceptor thing will be explained in the game


That's what I thought but he already has it before he meets Chumbucket, so it's not like he built it for him. Did he just stumble upon one of those?
At last the Vermin had inherited the Earth
User avatar
Taipan
 
Posts: 1472
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:14 am
Location: The Wasteland

Re: Original Trilogy Timeline & Fury Road

Postby scfc68 » Mon May 25, 2015 2:48 pm

Taipan wrote:Yeah I know, I'm beating a dead horse, FR is a reboot, it doesn't fit in. At least from what we know at this moment because:

Some bits of information are starting to pop up that make me think this movie could be a part of the original trilogy's timeline. Maybe I'm connecting all the wrong dots, maybe it was discussed somewhere else before (I'm pretty sure it was, but I can't be arsed to find a thread with that discussion), but hear me out:

1. Roop & Charlie in the first prequel comic book. Could be a nod to the originals, could be that they are indirectly responsible for Immortan Joe's rise to power (by letting the fat guy aka "The People Eater" escape and he let Joe Moore know where the aquifer is).

2. Glory the child. According to the synopsis of the final prequel comic book explaining Max's backstory, Glory, the kid that shows up in his flashbacks isn't his daughter at all (she calls him 'papa' in his flashbacks for whatever reason but she's a daughter of a woman named Hope or something like that). Max failed to save her when he went into the Buzzards territory to get his car back and it's haunting him now. SOURCE

Take those two pieces of information for what they are and you can start putting Fury Road into the original timeline. BUT, there's a giant gaping plot hole called The Interceptor. He lost it in the RW. I have no freaking clue how he'd get a new one. But if he got it and lost it a couple of times (in the prequel comic book & in the game) it at least explains why it would look so different after all those adventures.

I get a feeling that the FR fits somewhere between RW and Thunderdome. The oceans are gone in Thunderdome too (or at least the Sydney harbor is dry), it looks like they're gone in FR too "nothing but salt".

I might be missing some things, I might be digging in too deep and you'd probably be right, but if those things I mentioned up there check out then it sort of makes sense to put Fury Road in the original timeline somewhere. Except for this little fact that he's got his Interceptor again. And unless my tin-foil hat made me miss something really obvious that wrecks this theory with a single fact.



I seem to think you were one of the harshest for coming down on anyone that tried to suggest this?? ;) ;)

I wonder if George Miller has played a trick on this, in that it's always been part of the original movies. My feeling is he's allowing for it both ways; the people new to it aren't interested in the backstory so it's not made an essential to them...but there are the links there for the old diehards too!

Could be between MM2 & MM3, just the world looks even more alien so you think farther in the future. Then again by the end of MM3 you do get the feeling that the world may be healing so Fury Road doesn't fit in line with coming after that. Unless that healing process is as has been suggested the time lapse between Max left by Aunty Entity and the Telling at the end. Gibson was not even 30 in BTD and Hardy is 37 so on that basis Hardy is an older Max at least in 'real' life
scfc68
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 12:12 pm
Location: Stoke On Trent, England

Re: Original Trilogy Timeline & Fury Road

Postby DGSimo » Mon May 25, 2015 4:28 pm

It was always conceived as following the previous trilogy but obviously from a marketing perspective you're not going to call it a sequel because well, you're main star is different and younger. :lol:

Brendan McCarthy says in the art book that Fury Road fits within the timeline and takes place after Thunderdome. Obviously I think the main hang up is you've got a younger actor playing Max otherwise if Mel had done it the chronology and timeline would match up and wouldn't be questioned.
User avatar
DGSimo
 
Posts: 926
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:08 am
Location: Milan, Michigan

Re: Original Trilogy Timeline & Fury Road

Postby RedHotRyder » Mon May 25, 2015 6:29 pm

In another thread, Furyroadcars stated that the Interceptor in Fury Road isn't supposed to be the same car that was destroyed in RW. Max supposedly built a new Interceptor. It is, after all, just a mid 70s Aussie Falcon. Max could have found another Falcon somewhere and put together an Interceptor clone.

I've read that the reason for the Concord nose on the Falcon was to make it look a little more futuristic. It could be all Falcons came with that nose "a few years from now" as is stated in MM 1. When we first see the Interceptor in MM1, all the mechanic talks about is the engine mods. So finding a similar looking car in this universe is plausible. The Blower/Scot injection would be hard to come by. We will probably find out more about the Interceptor in the comics.

I thought Fury Road was a reboot but it really seams they are trying to connect everything with these comics. I already don't care for Immortan Joes backstory and I'm not sure if I want to read the others now.
RedHotRyder
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 10:53 am

Re: Original Trilogy Timeline & Fury Road

Postby Taipan » Mon May 25, 2015 7:38 pm

scfc68 wrote:I seem to think you were one of the harshest for coming down on anyone that tried to suggest this?? ;) ;)


I was! And for very good reasons!
All of those theories were pulled out of thin air and nobody could provide solid evidence so for all intents and purposes Fury Road functioned (and I guess still fuctions) as a reboot that's separate from the originals.

Until of course Roop and Charlie showed up out of nowhere, Glory turned out not to be his daughter and this is all coming from George Miller himself. Now Simo says:

DGSimo wrote:Brendan McCarthy says in the art book that Fury Road fits within the timeline and takes place after Thunderdome. Obviously I think the main hang up is you've got a younger actor playing Max otherwise if Mel had done it the chronology and timeline would match up and wouldn't be questioned.


It was pretty much known that Fury Road was conceived as a sequel to Beyond Thunderdome when Mel was in it, but I thought that idea was abandoned when they swapped the actor. When I said that Fury Road IMO fits between RW and MMBT is simply because of the jacket he lost in MMBT. Unless he went back god knows how far to get it back. Max's age would check out too.

and RedHotRyder says:

RedHotRyder wrote:In another thread, Furyroadcars stated that the Interceptor in Fury Road isn't supposed to be the same car that was destroyed in RW. Max supposedly built a new Interceptor. It is, after all, just a mid 70s Aussie Falcon. Max could have found another Falcon somewhere and put together an Interceptor clone.


Evidence is starting to pile up and it's not pulled out of my ass either, it's coming from Miller and his writers and people who worked on the movie. We just don't have enough evidence as of now, that is until all the prequel comic books come out and the video game too, which BTW was also claimed to have nothing to do with the movie until Scrotus turned out to be Immortan Joe's 3rd son and one of the devs said it took place before Fury Road and never mentioned it again. See what those assholes are doing? IF it turns out to be part of the original trilogy after all then I applaud everyone involved for messing with fans for so long and making them lose their freaking mind trying to figure this god damn thing out. I'll see myself out before I start acting like Mulder from the X-Files unless I already do.
At last the Vermin had inherited the Earth
User avatar
Taipan
 
Posts: 1472
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:14 am
Location: The Wasteland

Re: Original Trilogy Timeline & Fury Road

Postby RedHotRyder » Mon May 25, 2015 9:03 pm

So really the only big plot hole is Tom Hardys age.

I read that Miller stated that the story for Fury Road didn't really change when they brought Hardy on board. When I watched the movie, it was obvious that it could have been a post Thunderdome sequel had A 48-50 year old Mel Gibson played Max back around 2003. But I always assumed that Max was in his 40s in Thunderdome. Now I'm trying to convince myself that Max was only around 30 years old in BT, which was Mel's real age at the time. Mel's always looked older than he is and the Wasteland will put some years on you :lol: .
RedHotRyder
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 10:53 am

Re: Original Trilogy Timeline & Fury Road

Postby TheWarriorMax » Mon May 25, 2015 10:08 pm

RedHotRyder wrote:I thought Fury Road was a reboot but it really seams they are trying to connect everything with these comics. I already don't care for Immortan Joes backstory and I'm not sure if I want to read the others now.

Something we should probably keep in mind, the comics are for a relatively tiny audience that cares to see such connections. The movie is for "everyone" so to speak. The two might never line up well simply because there's no special benefit, like increased movie sales, in doing so. In fact having things not fit perfectly works for a marketing strategy in the internet age, even if people like us are a tiny group, it costs them nothing to confuse us and make us talk about this stuff endlessly :).

Taipan wrote: and the video game too, which BTW was also claimed to have nothing to do with the movie until Scrotus turned out to be Immortan Joe's 3rd son

I think it was a bit before the Scrotus being Joe's son reveal, but anyway I remember the early days they said the game had no connection to the movie at all and it was annoying when they went back on that.
TheWarriorMax
 
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon May 04, 2015 7:31 pm

Re: Original Trilogy Timeline & Fury Road

Postby MWFV8 » Tue May 26, 2015 1:56 am

I saw a feature on the cars of Fury Road the other day were Miller states that Max is driving the same car from the first movie, and it's completely clapped out to suggest that Max himself is in the same state.

I don't buy into the concept that there is some sort of puzzle to try and work out here, that Miller is proactively playing some kind of game, or that he's "messing with the fans". I really don't think he gives a damn.

I think Miller just set out to get a Mad Max sequel made and, after a lot of development soup, that movie became Fury Road. I know there will be hundreds of people involved in the production and the associated channels many of whom will have been given permission to adlib what they need to get a big job done in a short amount of time. I simply can't picture a meeting with a bunch of execs where they agree that messing with the existing fanbase would, in any way, be a product use of their limited resources. I think that a lot of the connections, easter eggs, backstory suggestions etc are homages and ideas created by creatives given freedom to do the best job they can and demonstrate their passion for the franchise.

For me, the story which really epitomises our scenario is Samuel L Jackson and the purple light sabre:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubyo5eZz_Jc
"Wrong, we fight for a belief. I stay."
User avatar
MWFV8
 
Posts: 1089
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 2:06 pm

Next

Return to Mad Max 4 - Fury Road

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests