News on the Fury Road sequel: "The Wasteland" !!!

Discuss the facts, the rumours, plot ideas, merchandising ideas, whatever...

Re: News on the Fury Road sequel: "The Wasteland" !!!

Postby Taipan » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:06 am

Nah, Fury Road wasn't going to be two movies. I've talked to Mark Sexton about this and he told me that Furiosa was the CGI Anime that was supposed to be developed simultaneously with Fury Road circa 2009. Then the 2nd delay happened, rains in Broken Hill and all Miller's 'extra' ideas (Furiosa anime and the game) have been stripped away from him due to budget reasons. What's left of the anime were early concept art by this japanese guy the name of which escapes me now, and the game idea went directly to Warner Bros without Miller's supervision. This explains why the game takes from Miller's ideas and goes into a completely different direction, it's actually not canon whatsoever.

The Furiosa anime script is I believe still alive and kicking and has been adapted into a movie John Seale talks about. So I guess instead of CGI Anime we'll be getting a full motion picture. The other script is Max's story. I think.

Either way, my money is on two scripts being fully developed, one Furiosa, another about Max. The Furiosa script is based on the anime that was cancelled after the 2nd delay in 2009 (or to be precise in the middle of shoot in Namibia in 2012 if I remember correctly).
At last the Vermin had inherited the Earth
Taipan

Postby AquaCola » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:28 am

Thanks! A lot of news sites and magazines had their information jumbled up on "Furiosa" so.

A furiosa prequel would be awesome but wouldn't that then be a film without Max? I'm not even sure where Miller will go with Max after Fury Road now.
AquaCola

Postby rustycarr » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:36 pm

Any news? DGsimo, Biolumen..?
V8
rustycarr

Postby Taipan » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:31 pm

Yes, Mark Sexton recently did an interview for a Mad Max Podcast - You Will Be Awaited (or something akin to that) and:

He stated that the Furiosa script is finished, and the other story is about Max - a prequel to Fury Road - with a working title "The Wasteland". This one needs some more work, and he revealed that "The Wasteland" is incredibly bleak.

The Furiosa's story spans over many years and is really huge in that aspect.
At last the Vermin had inherited the Earth
Taipan

Postby biolumen » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:23 am

"The Wasteland" is a prequel? Hmm, I guess we'll be seeing a lot more of the Interceptor.

Then again, maybe not. If the movie is as bleak as Sexton says it is, WB might choose to make the Furiosa movie instead.
biolumen

Postby AquaCola » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:59 am

Very cool news!
AquaCola

Postby DGSimo » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:10 pm

Taipan wrote:Yes, Mark Sexton recently did an interview for a Mad Max Podcast - You Will Be Awaited (or something akin to that) and:

He stated that the Furiosa script is finished, and the other story is about Max - a prequel to Fury Road - with a working title "The Wasteland". This one needs some more work, and he revealed that "The Wasteland" is incredibly bleak.

The Furiosa's story spans over many years and is really huge in that aspect.

Is the Furiosa script a revised version of what was going to be used in the anime prequel or something else? Basically wondering what's changed since Fury Road as we all know Miller constantly said that they already finished a script for a follow up to Fury Road before it was even released and had the ideas for the a third film but in a more novella form and hadn't got the script down yet. This was all during the lead up Fury Road so I'm just curious if we're looking at 3 scripts or if the third idea kind of stayed as an idea.

And lastly even though there are scripts, what's going on with Miller and WB?
DGSimo

Postby Dinki Di » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:27 am

I like bleak movies!
Dinki Di

Postby AquaCola » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:28 am

I found this when George was asked would Charlize return as Furiosa, or maybe was it would Furiosa return even.

Screen Shot 2016-08-26 at 22.48.33.png
Screen Shot 2016-08-26 at 22.48.33.png (21.16 KiB) Viewed 638 times

I'm a bit confused then. Are both scripts Max stories but one is a prequel and the other a sequel?
AquaCola

Postby seriz » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:55 am

can you tell us where you find that ?!
seriz

PreviousNext

Return to Mad Max 4 - Fury Road