Re-Evaluation of MM:BT in light of Fury Road (FR spoilers)

Discuss the facts, the rumours, plot ideas, merchandising ideas, whatever...

Re: Re-Evaluation of MM:BT in light of Fury Road (FR spoiler

Postby Knightrider » Tue May 19, 2015 9:01 am

the thing i always loved about the MM trilogy was how completely different all three were from each other, there is no other film series that ever was so bold in its creativity and always presented new and original ideas. Sometimes when you try something different it doesnt work as good but at least they were putting out something original. To me thunderdome was always a different type film, more like Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom than the Road Warrior, but still a great movie. I watched BTD the other day immediately after coming home from seeing fury road, and I felt it worked well as a sequel still..
Step right up, chum, and watch the kid lay down the rubber road, ride to freedom!
Knightrider

Postby Stef-Man » Tue May 19, 2015 10:01 am

scfc68 wrote:People are still placing Fury Road in the timeline of the existing films...

I read Alex Zane's review in The Sun newspaper and he said it's set between MM2 and MM3. Do I agree, probably not but It's never going to go away.

I blame George Miller for not coming out and saying yes, its a reboot! Because if it has no connection to the originals directly even if it features the same main character then it must be a reboot. If it does indeed have the lazy continuity of the Bond movies (before Daniel Craig) then I fail to understand the hostility of some towards anyone that tries to make even a hazy link to the originals.

A reimagining as I have heard said by Miller involves just that: IMAGINATION!
People should be free to invoke their imagination and see the movie as they wish; I honestly think it's been made that way. At times, the sense of ownership has been felt too strongly

Great post, man! But for me, Fury Road is not pre or post-Thunderdome, it is right in the middle of it! I explain :)
After the sequence where Aunty leave Max in the desert at the end "Good bye soldier!", when the flying jalopy and crew arrive in destroyed Sydney, between that and the sequence of the very last Tell by Savannah in restored Sydney! We can see new-borns and a lot of new people, Screwloose seems to be more mature, even Savannah. I think 10 or 15 years occured during the two sequences inside the very same movie. So when we see Max wandering in the wasteland on foot before the sunset, it's 15 years after the crash against Ironbar's truck! So, I think Fury Road take place during this time, at the end of Beyond Thunderdome.
The absence of oil is just in this quadrant of the wasteland. 500 km ahead (more or less I dunno), Gastown rules, but in this part of the desert, no oil indeed. The cars in Bartertown are bug-like because they have to be lighter to be powered by methane. So Fury Road is "post"-Thunderdome in that way.
Stef-Man

Postby Stamper » Tue May 19, 2015 12:44 pm

Uncle Entity wrote:
The music when Master tries to save Blaster from being killed "he is just a kid" made me wants to puke, I just wanted Max at this point to kill him, AND THEN realise he had killed just a kid. Imagine how awesome that scene would be. Max would then just demand punishment, knowing he did the unthinkable. Instead you have Ironbar, who is very badly portrayed by Angry Anderson, killing him.

Totally nonsense man :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You're funny.

Nope, I'm just drunk and imagining alternate stories -- admit you wanted Max to kill Blaster too!
Stamper

Postby Trundlefish » Tue May 19, 2015 3:05 pm

Stef-Man wrote:
scfc68 wrote:Great post, man! But for me, Fury Road is not pre or post-Thunderdome, it is right in the middle of it! I explain :)
After the sequence where Aunty leave Max in the desert at the end "Good bye soldier!", when the flying jalopy and crew arrive in destroyed Sydney, between that and the sequence of the very last Tell by Savannah in restored Sydney! We can see new-borns and a lot of new people, Screwloose seems to be more mature, even Savannah. I think 10 or 15 years occured during the two sequences inside the very same movie. So when we see Max wandering in the wasteland on foot before the sunset, it's 15 years after the crash against Ironbar's truck! So, I think Fury Road take place during this time, at the end of Beyond Thunderdome.
The absence of oil is just in this quadrant of the wasteland. 500 km ahead (more or less I dunno), Gastown rules, but in this part of the desert, no oil indeed. The cars in Bartertown are bug-like because they have to be lighter to be powered by methane. So Fury Road is "post"-Thunderdome in that way.

I've long been reading these boards, but I've never felt compelled to write anything until reading the above post. Being a fan of all the films in the Mad Max series, and taking them all on their own merits, I have always been of the opinion that 'Mad Max Max Beyond Thunderdome' has the larger and more satisfactory story to tell. I can understand that for some people this might not be their opinion, but it's how I've always seen it. For me the original film and it's sequel, were the appetisers to a much bigger story relating to the character Max.

Which leads me on to 'Mad Max : Fury Road' and the above post. I have no problem at all connecting the new film with the loose continuity that runs through the series, but Stef-Man has made a very clever and easily acceptable point in his post - That the very end of Thunderdome takes place several years after the final crash and escape. Those years in-between can be easily filled with other stories involving Max and I have no problem at all with his hypothesis. Infact, I'd go as far as to say that it's the very best idea given to the whole reboot/sequel/sidequel saga.

As for the Interceptor debate and its inclusion in the latest story, it has never bothered me for two reasons. The first is that it is known that there were other Pursuit Specials (and no single person on the whole continent of Australia could possibly know, especially near/after the collapse of society, if it really is the 'Last of the V8s'). Secondly, the Interceptor in my opinion only plays a very small part in the much larger story of Max and it's very clear that George Miller has shown this to be true.
Trundlefish

Postby Uncle Entity » Tue May 19, 2015 3:08 pm

I've long been reading these boards, but I've never felt compelled to write anything until reading the above post. Being a fan of all the films in the Mad Max series, and taking them all on their own merits, I have always been of the opinion that 'Mad Max Max Beyond Thunderdome' has the larger and more satisfactory story to tell. I can understand that for some people this might not be their opinion, but it's how I've always seen it. For me the original film and it's sequel, were the appetisers to a much bigger story relating to the character Max.

Kudos to you.
Mel Gibson's Max to Tom Hardy's Max: "give me my life back, interdimensional counterpart!"
Uncle Entity

Postby Gaston444 » Tue May 19, 2015 11:10 pm

Trundlefish wrote: Being a fan of all the films in the Mad Max series, and taking them all on their own merits, I have always been of the opinion that 'Mad Max Max Beyond Thunderdome' has the larger and more satisfactory story to tell.

I've always liked the part with the children, which I thought was the best written portion of the entire series. Many of the children are likeable and intensely interesting, particularly the main "adult" girl, right down to the "evolved" language which felt exceptionally true and natural as something kids would do in the absence of adults (not easy to pull off)... And I especially liked the final minutes in the re-inhabited city: What is good about Thunderdome is that it does not take itself too seriously, and is not relentlessly downbeat: This is where Fury Road comes up short for me, as it is not clear how life will be improved just because different people are running things... Fury Road really has an "end of humanity" feel to me, where people are reduced to deformities and begging for water... If you have to beg for water, then there's not much left... Water is not something a dictator can use to put pressure on people: Water puts pressure on the dictator because without it nothing works...

Trundlefish wrote:I can understand that for some people this might not be their opinion, but it's how I've always seen it. For me the original film and it's sequel, were the appetisers to a much bigger story relating to the character Max.

I wouldn't quite go that far. Much of Bartertown did not feel quite believable to me... Not terrible, but not great...

Gaston
Gaston444

Postby Trundlefish » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:46 am

Gaston444 wrote:
Trundlefish wrote: Being a fan of all the films in the Mad Max series, and taking them all on their own merits, I have always been of the opinion that 'Mad Max Max Beyond Thunderdome' has the larger and more satisfactory story to tell.

I've always liked the part with the children, which I thought was the best written portion of the entire series. Many of the children are likeable and intensely interesting, particularly the main "adult" girl, right down to the "evolved" language which felt exceptionally true and natural as something kids would do in the absence of adults (not easy to pull off)... And I especially liked the final minutes in the re-inhabited city: What is good about Thunderdome is that it does not take itself too seriously, and is not relentlessly downbeat: This is where Fury Road comes up short for me, as it is not clear how life will be improved just because different people are running things... Fury Road really has an "end of humanity" feel to me, where people are reduced to deformities and begging for water... If you have to beg for water, then there's not much left... Water is not something a dictator can use to put pressure on people: Water puts pressure on the dictator because without it nothing works...

Trundlefish wrote:I can understand that for some people this might not be their opinion, but it's how I've always seen it. For me the original film and it's sequel, were the appetisers to a much bigger story relating to the character Max.

I wouldn't quite go that far. Much of Bartertown did not feel quite believable to me... Not terrible, but not great...

Gaston

For me it was always great that the series went 'off the road' for want of a better explanation/pun!!!

If the 3rd film had once again been a battle on the highway, then I think it would have been just more of what had come before. 'Beyond Thunderdome' expanded the story and the world Max lived in, far beyond the highways that we were familiar with in the previous films.

But on that same subject, 'Fury Road' is again a battle (maybe not on a highway as we know it, but still a battle involving an armada of road vehicles), but in my opinion this film manages to be far more layered in story than any of the previous entries. It's familiar, but brand new at the same time…a wee bit like the character of Max.

The very fact that it has a more subtly layered storytelling process than the others, makes the fourth entry in this series stand shoulder to shoulder with the very small amount of films where the sequel(s) are greater than the original.
Trundlefish

Postby Stamper » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:50 pm

The children story -- the middle of BT, I remember quite well the audiences being dumbfounded in the theaters when it happened.

People were expecting a hard edge Mad Max in the vein of the first two (with evolution of the MM universe) in light of the trailer which were all out movements and action.

And suddenly the film stalled.

No one in the theaters gave a toss about the childs, because what we wanted was speed. It's like if Miller had promised everyone cocaine, and delivered heroin. Case of total mismatch of audiences expectations.

This wouldn't happen today, executives reading the script would not greenlight a Mad Max film without action when it's what the series is known for. It"s like doing a Hunger Games film with no game.

When the chase finaly came, it was goofy and light and too short too.

Now once you've realised all this, and give the film a second chance, it's an interesting Mad Max film. But most people never did gave it a second viewing. They all came in looking to score speed and there was no speed.
Stamper

Postby Uncle Entity » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:13 am

Stef-Man wrote: Great post, man! But for me, Fury Road is not pre or post-Thunderdome, it is right in the middle of it! I explain :)

Interesting idea, but I think that final sequence in BT is set just 5 years later... I doubt Max will survive for so long :(
Mel Gibson's Max to Tom Hardy's Max: "give me my life back, interdimensional counterpart!"
Uncle Entity

Previous

Return to Mad Max 4 - Fury Road