Re-Evaluation of MM:BT in light of Fury Road (FR spoilers)

Discuss the facts, the rumours, plot ideas, merchandising ideas, whatever...

Re-Evaluation of MM:BT in light of Fury Road (FR spoilers)

Postby Stamper » Sat May 16, 2015 8:58 am

This is the topic to gather your thoughts on MM:BT after having seen FR.

I'm starting by saying I think it's the crappiest of the original trilogy. The acting, the humor, the kiddie chase, it's a laughable and would be nearly unwatchable if it wasn't a MM film.

BUT: the costumes, designs etc are fantastic, and the camera movements just mind blowing. It's the best cinematography of the original trilogy.

Plus: it has now in light of FR, many similarities with the new one, like the night scenes, the going home theme, Master/Blaster relationship etc. even thought it's kiddie crap and would have been awesome if it was as agressive as the first two, or the last one.

As noted on this board, FR feels like a prequel to TD, and one can imagine Furiosa / Aunty Entity has having gone through the same hardship as Furiosa to get to run her town, which is like an oasis in the desert. The films definetely have a bond.

What do you guys think? Discuss here.
Stamper

Re: Re-Evaluation of MM:BT in light of Fury Road (FR spoiler

Postby mahenoguy » Sat May 16, 2015 3:38 pm

Be careful Stamper...I have copped a bit of flak for saying the same thing....But I agree 100% it feels like a prequel to MMBT . A couple of the more obvious reasons are : Max seems a lot more "Healed "in thunderdome than Fury Road , which would suggest he has found some sort of "redemption "by then .The interceptor appearing in fury road could be easily explained by a miss telling of it's fate by an elderly feral kid or as you say max just re-built it , for it to reappear after thunderdome is a little harder to explain away .The fact that people are streaming into Bartertown from all over the wasteland makes me think someone would have heard of Gastown or the bullet farm....which makes me think they are gone by Thunderdome .The cars in fury road closer resemble the Roadwarrior era than the Thunderdome era .The general consensus in Thunderdome is the battle weary trying to keep peace and order...where as in Fury road it is still about pillage and destroy ...more the mentality of road warrior .even though we see much more of max's world in Fury Road...Max's world in Thunderdome seems to have progressed to we meet , we trade ....where as fury road is more we meet , I kill you and pillage your supplies .As unpopular as it has been , my vision of Fury Road is max's story if he hadn't returned to the compound in Road warrior , but instead delivered the rig , took his payment and disappeared into the wasteland .This could explain why he is still so damaged...Having missed the redemption that came with helping the Great Northern tribe out of the wasteland .The gyro captains skull on nux's car could even suggest they didn't make it without Max's help....when people talk about parallel universes etc....I find it harder to swallow than making connection scenarios in my imagination , I just think the decisions we make in life set us on a new course every day , what ever you call it .
DISCLAIMER
I know George has said this is not in the time line of the original trilogy , I know what re-boot , re-imagining , re-make , sequel , stand-alone all mean so thanks anyway but no explanation required , this is just how I want to see this regardless of production issues , marketing issues , cast and crew interviews etc etc. Infact the large group of people I went and saw Fury Road with ( for the 2nd time !)all thought my connection theory was better than no explanation at all to the continuity flaws in the series ....so sorry George but Fury Road is MM2.5 ( with a twist of lemon ) to me. if this is a "Convoluted" way of seeing it then I'm happy to spaz out on this one
mahenoguy

Postby Stamper » Sun May 17, 2015 12:08 am

The kid tells the events of MM2, he might have changed them from the reality, just like folks tales do over the years LOL

Agree it really feels like 2.5
Stamper

Postby zykotec » Sun May 17, 2015 1:42 am

I think the part of the story about the kids and how they got there etc. was possibly BT's most redeeming quality. I hate the costumes and sound of the film. Everything is just to well made. The costumes look just like costumes, made by a costume department, unike in RW where they look like personal clothing, shaped over time by the person who wore it, and relevant to the person who wore it. Also, it lacks the beatiful orchestral score that the other movies have, it sounds so 'apocalyptic movie from 1985'
The most sad part about BT is that it was the most succesful MM movie in the box office, so a lot of people still think of that crap when you say 'Mad Max'.
Example;
Me; - I really love the Mad Max movies, can't wait to see Fury Road'
Friends; - What, that weird 80's movie with Tina Turner, what is wrong with you, I'm sure not going to watch that 'furry road' thing...'
or:
Me; - God I really love Fury Road.
Friends; - But, it had no humor, where were all the cool slapstick and funny 80's costumes?

Honestly, I hate Thunderdome a lot more for what it represents to the public, than I hate as a movie. It almost killed the series, and it is still ruining the series today...
zykotec

Postby Turbofurball » Sun May 17, 2015 2:31 am

I've felt, for quite a while now, that if Thunderdome was re-edited and re-scored it could be a worthwhile movie ... that feeling is stronger in lieu of Fury Road.

The design aesthetic is very compatible with it, and there's a similar jump between MM1 and 2 as there is between Fury Road and Thunderdome, so the potential for them to mesh together is there ... as for people not knowing of Bullet Town etc, I think you're underestimating the distances - around Bartertown only the super-rich/powerful have vehicles, and it could be hundreds of miles away so knowledge of other places might be sporadic or non-existent. People like Max wouldn't tend to fill in people with lots of news of the outside world.
Whoever they send here, we're gonna catch 'em, we're gonna cook 'em, and we're gonna eat 'em!
Turbofurball

Postby Stamper » Sun May 17, 2015 3:31 am

Interesting. Furiosa wants to go home, just like the kids in BT.

My idea re a fan edit would be to cut the film from 107mn to 90mn, removing all the cheesy and slapstick and theatrical stuff and make it flow faster like FR. End when Max is left alone in the desert after the chase. Rescore some parts with Brian May music.

For example, once they go for the fight in TD, they spend like 5mn explaining the fight and presenting the opponents. Who gives a toss? Just cut to the fight!

The music when Master tries to save Blaster from being killed "he is just a kid" made me wants to puke, I just wanted Max at this point to kill him, AND THEN realise he had killed just a kid. Imagine how awesome that scene would be. Max would then just demand punishment, knowing he did the unthinkable. Instead you have Ironbar, who is very badly portrayed by Angry Anderson, killing him. It makes no sense. The writing is not very good.

Another scene I hate is after Max wanders, he is taken away the Savannah, and then she goes in the oasis and scream, and you get all this nice, Little house in the prairie style music as you discover the oasis. It's puking time, especially after you come from the previous two films. For example, Max should wake up in the oasis and we get to discover the kids and the surrounding at the same time as him. That scene would be much more powerful.

Over all, the writing in BT sucks. Thought the screenplay is very well written, the way the ideas are arranged are to diluted. It's like putting water in wine.
Stamper

Postby Uncle Entity » Sun May 17, 2015 3:49 am

So funny, folks here keep talking about Thunderdome.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mel Gibson's Max to Tom Hardy's Max: "give me my life back, interdimensional counterpart!"
Uncle Entity

Postby Stamper » Sun May 17, 2015 3:56 am

That's because FR looks more like TD, both thematically and in the production design, than the first two.
Stamper

Postby scfc68 » Mon May 18, 2015 12:30 pm

People are still placing Fury Road in the timeline of the existing films...

I read Alex Zane's review in The Sun newspaper and he said it's set between MM2 and MM3. Do I agree, probably not but It's never going to go away.

I blame George Miller for not coming out and saying yes, its a reboot! Because if it has no connection to the originals directly even if it features the same main character then it must be a reboot. If it does indeed have the lazy continuity of the Bond movies (before Daniel Craig) then I fail to understand the hostility of some towards anyone that tries to make even a hazy link to the originals.

A reimagining as I have heard said by Miller involves just that: IMAGINATION!
People should be free to invoke their imagination and see the movie as they wish; I honestly think it's been made that way. At times, the sense of ownership has been felt too strongly
scfc68

Postby Uncle Entity » Mon May 18, 2015 1:06 pm

The music when Master tries to save Blaster from being killed "he is just a kid" made me wants to puke, I just wanted Max at this point to kill him, AND THEN realise he had killed just a kid. Imagine how awesome that scene would be. Max would then just demand punishment, knowing he did the unthinkable. Instead you have Ironbar, who is very badly portrayed by Angry Anderson, killing him.

Totally nonsense man :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You're funny.
Mel Gibson's Max to Tom Hardy's Max: "give me my life back, interdimensional counterpart!"
Uncle Entity

Next

Return to Mad Max 4 - Fury Road