That offensive to Muslims cartoon

Two men, hand to hand, no jury, no appeal, no parole. Two men enter, one man leaves. (Put all your off topic bickering here!)

Postby Biker » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:52 am

Bugsqecko. So what you're basically saying is that Islam is a fragmented religeon open to whatever spin the individual worshipper wants to put on it personally or how it's been taught to that individual as a child thus influencing his way of thinking throughout his life?

Well I think what we're seeing here are examples of the differences between those factions of the same religeon. Beach bathing to flag burning. Gay sects to total intolerance for anything other than the "true" way.

By the way this thread began with me asking if anyone thought the reaction to the cartoons was a tad excessive. I then proceeded to post, granted my own interpretations of them, snippets from radio and news broadcasts I heard regarding examples of this over reactive fanaticism.

Muslim bashing in general isn't what this threads about. I KNOW that what I'm seeing on the news and in the papers are examples of the 'bad' elemants which are then painted as the whole. I'm sure the good tolerant Muslims are indoors watching the news shaking his head in wonderment like the rest of us while his "Brother" is out there waving his placard in the face of the worlds cameras chanting "Death, death, death!" Just like there's a small bad element in everything fanatic football fans being one example the media will then make sure they try and paint the rest of the footy fans the same colour as the peace loving good game watching ones. But what I've been reading from other posters here, such as Adrian has opened my eyes to some of the hidden agendas we don't normally hear about in Islam and it makes me wonder just what else is out there waiting for me in the future.

As for me being as bad as them in "adopt our ways or be labelled a rag head terrorist." I'm not sure that's what I've been saying at all. What I thought I was saying was: Yeah fine, live the way you want to live but don't expect any special treatment or excemptions that everyone else has to abide by if you want to live in my country.

Example; I now live in France, however I was born and bred in England for the first 42 years of my life. Now how long do you think I can get away with wanting to continue my habit of driving on the left side of the road? Sooner or later I'm gonna bump heads with someone! See what I'm saying? I have had to change my ways of behaving in public and respect and abide by the laws of my adopted country... or face the consequences of (literally) going against them. What I do in my own home is another matter entirely I watch (shock horror) English speaking DVD's can eat a peanut butter sandwich for lunch and baked beans for dinner.

Tolerance, whether it's religeous or political whatever is a two way street. I think the majority of the western world population has been very very tolerant of Islam. I thought it was about time they tried it too.

Biker
Are we living in a land where sex and horror are the new gods?

My Mad Max T-shirt designs http://www.redbubble.com/people/biker/t-shirts
Biker

Postby Bugsgecko » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:41 am

Biker I wasn't directing my comments towards you. I merely mentioned that you had simply asked people's opinions about the cartoons and the reaction from the Islamic community ,and it seemed to degenerate into a bashing thread from several people.

Yes everyone is entitled to an opinion and yes everyone should expect (and receive) the same respect Muslims(or ANY race/religion) demand towards their beliefs.

The issue I had was with people bashing the Muslim community as a whole,lumping all of them together,when they were complaining about Muslims doing the very same thing towards Westerners.

I think classing Islam as fragmented is too simplistic - someone explained it as thus : several family groups(tribes) with the same teachings,growing through many generations isolated from each other, have ended up with basically the same set of beliefs and guidelines but differing tolerances and ideas IE-some allow women to have jobs/careers,others are more extreme in the rights(or lack thereof) they "allow" women.

In effect these people haven't chosen to interpret the Koran in different ways,it's just what their family groups have lived for generations-except for when the Taliban gained power and chose to enforce the more extremist guidelines from the Koran,like outlawing all women(doctors,lawyers,etc) working,or even leaving the house.Before the Taliban,every female was able to go to school,train for a career,work...and they still lived by the Koran.

A reporter here in Melbourne showed a picture that had incorrectly been labelled as a man dressed as Mohammed wearing a pig mask...of course this really royally pissed off many Muslim extremists ready to believe the worst.It was in fact a very bad photocopy of a man who'd won some pig squealing contest in France last August. Here is the link http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,18094703%255E25717,00.html

Yes I'd believe there is a hidden agenda behind the extremists ,but blanket intolerance towards all Muslims is only playing into their hands and giving them justification for their deadly actions.
Bugsgecko

Postby roadwarriormfp » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:17 pm

"Quack, quack, I'm an Aligator on a bolivian lardboat"

Hell the media have been screwing us for years. One only has to watch the news at night on all 3 commercial channels we have here. All three of the commercial stations show the same storys, yet a lot of the "facts" are reported differently or omitted.

One newspaper (Sunday Mail) i wrote to had published a few letters of mine. Both letters were not only edited in content, but some of my words were removed or altered in my sentances (Yes i can construct a few sentances! ) I complained in writing about it... and i never got a reply... strange that! Yet my local paper does not have his practise, yet a major newspaper see's fit to edit your mail !

While we all tend to catergorize one groups religion or race... We all seem to forget that like us (And really.. there is no "us" and "them") they have their own bad apples who will do anything to push their message.

Look at it this way.... A salesman comes to your door to sell you something.... most of us will tell them to go away (unless you are a bit on the weak side). However.... when we see the same item in the shop window and no salesman around we tend to like to make our own judgement about it.

The media is a bit the same.... they tend to shove home useless stories to us night after night giving us "their" opinion. We are no longer fed the facts and allowed to make up our own minds on somethings.

We are 100% snafu....
roadwarriormfp

Postby Big Bopper Bart » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:35 pm

Quote: Originally posted by Bugsgecko on 13 February 2006

There are several queer Muslim groups,with a few young Islamic men and women stating " my parents are accepting of my sexuality but I wouldn't like to be gay in Iran where they have a different interpretation of the koran".

Uhhhhhh...AssalumelaCUM tee hee oh sstop pinching me arse Achmed for shame
ImageNo.1 HELL RAISER on the MAD MAX Movies forum for over 10 years now !
Big Bopper Bart

Postby Bugsgecko » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:04 pm

Bart....sweetie,darling,darling,sweetie,snookums...I didn't know you caredImage
Bugsgecko

Postby Big Bopper Bart » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:01 am

Cmoon me care?sheeeeeeeit i'm a cold hearted bastard!!
ImageNo.1 HELL RAISER on the MAD MAX Movies forum for over 10 years now !
Big Bopper Bart

Postby roadwarriormfp » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:49 am

It must be all that Ice tea Bart !!! lol

Oh yea i forgot..... whats wrong with gravy ???? (Vegemite ..now come on... im not that sick)
We are 100% snafu....
roadwarriormfp

Postby Bugsgecko » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:57 am

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm Gravy !!!! Image
Bugsgecko

Postby scummy » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:27 am

Ive got it !!!!!! We pool ALLLLLL our money together and buy land at silverton and build a huge fuel depot and await the muslim comin. We have to organise a leader and a find a super fast car im a truck driver so i bags drivin the truck , my wifes in the millitary so she,s in charge of explosives but she,s gona need help with that. So add on what you,d like to be in our fuel depot ! cheers scummy.
I survived the overnighter days .
scummy

Postby Biker » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:18 pm

Great plan Scummy.

So what do we do once the compound is built out there in the middle of the desert? Besides take tea and play Mahjong?

LOL!!

Biker
Are we living in a land where sex and horror are the new gods?

My Mad Max T-shirt designs http://www.redbubble.com/people/biker/t-shirts
Biker

PreviousNext

Return to Thunderdome